What do you charge to put out pine straw?

OP
L

landscaper22

LawnSite Silver Member
I wonder if I could charge more in my area since it isn't around and no one has it. Make it an "exclusive" option. :D
Yeah, probably so, but then you will have to pay more to get it. Did you say you have a place you can get it? It's running about $4.50 per bale retail here. Landscapers can get it cheaper. I think wholesale is 3.25 on average but then you will have to get a trailer load. I figure the cost to get the straw up there will be more.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
Yeah, probably so, but then you will have to pay more to get it. Did you say you have a place you can get it? It's running about $4.50 per bale retail here. Landscapers can get it cheaper. I think wholesale is 3.25 on average but then you will have to get a trailer load. I figure the cost to get the straw up there will be more.
Quick Google search says Lowes or HD. I've not seen it at my mulch places.

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
Lowes or Home Depot will be acceptable. In my experience, their bales are lighter/smaller and the price is less also. You can charge a bit less as a aa result.

Try to sell a couple of jobs to get a feel for things and test the market.

As an fyi, if I were using box store straw my rate would be in the $8.50 range per bake installed. For better straw it is $10.50-11 installed.

You could market it as a lower cost option to bulk mulch. Seems clients either love it or they hate it.

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
We mulch leaves into the beds, straw over them. It produces good soil conditioner and water retentiveness and slows the weeds down, a bit....

OP
L

landscaper22

LawnSite Silver Member
I guess if that is the only choice you have. They may or may not have it in stock. I have never got any from there, but sometimes they will have a trailer load outside. I doubt its the best quality but it may be okay. If your customers have never seen any they won't know the difference lol. I like the local landscape supply companies here they usually keep a fresh supply. Next time you go to Lowes ask and see if they ever carry it locally. Try to get long leaf though. I wouldn't mess with slash or short leaf straw.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
I guess if that is the only choice you have. They may or may not have it in stock. I have never got any from there, but sometimes they will have a trailer load outside. I doubt its the best quality but it may be okay. If your customers have never seen any they won't know the difference lol. I like the local landscape supply companies here they usually keep a fresh supply. Next time you go to Lowes ask and see if they ever carry it locally. Try to get long leaf though. I wouldn't mess with slash or short leaf straw.
My buddy that lived in Florida for a while said he hates doing it and hasn't really seen any at the local landscape suppliers. I've seen a guy at Lowes unloading some a while back.

Funny I was doing a service call in a yuppy neighborhood today and saw some down.

notoriousSTV

LawnSite Member
Hope everyone having a great week and ready to finish up tomorrow for the weekend. I wanted to add this pinestraw story

About 20 years ago I was a crew leader and we maintained a hoa where Mr Corbin lived. Story has it, that he dropped out of school in 6 or 7th grade to rake and sell pinestraw bales. This must have been 40 or 50 years ago. Well, everything this man touched turned to gold literally. In the late 70s, he rented his house out while they filmed smokey and the bandit to burt Reynolds and Sally fields. He bought major land around interstate 75 that many years ago has sams club, target home depot stores....strip malls, hotels etc....he didn't spread pinestraw just figured out how to rake it, bale it up and sell it....by the tractor trailer load. Other old guy in that hoa said he would buy a new Cadillac every year then bring to my shop off the dealer lot for better tires, alignment and balance. Mr Corbin was a super cool, old crotcby dude, gave us hell back then when. We did his yard.....but when my daughter was born 21 years ago, slipped me cash....saw him at doctors when she getting her shots slipped me cash, hey Mr Corbin going on vacation next week, cash. Super cool guy. Made his fortune by selling bales of pine needles.
Finish up the week everyone and let's get ready for the weekend

OP
L

landscaper22

LawnSite Silver Member
Hope everyone having a great week and ready to finish up tomorrow for the weekend. I wanted to add this pinestraw story

About 20 years ago I was a crew leader and we maintained a hoa where Mr Corbin lived. Story has it, that he dropped out of school in 6 or 7th grade to rake and sell pinestraw bales. This must have been 40 or 50 years ago. Well, everything this man touched turned to gold literally. In the late 70s, he rented his house out while they filmed smokey and the bandit to burt Reynolds and Sally fields. He bought major land around interstate 75 that many years ago has sams club, target home depot stores....strip malls, hotels etc....he didn't spread pinestraw just figured out how to rake it, bale it up and sell it....by the tractor trailer load. Other old guy in that hoa said he would buy a new Cadillac every year then bring to my shop off the dealer lot for better tires, alignment and balance. Mr Corbin was a super cool, old crotcby dude, gave us hell back then when. We did his yard.....but when my daughter was born 21 years ago, slipped me cash....saw him at doctors when she getting her shots slipped me cash, hey Mr Corbin going on vacation next week, cash. Super cool guy. Made his fortune by selling bales of pine needles.
Finish up the week everyone and let's get ready for the weekend
Ha, cool story, and I will be more than glad to get this week behind me. Been one of those weeks with my employee having covid. Now I know I can't do this solo. I think I took an extra couple years off my life. lol

Wish I could turn something into gold. I think everything I touch turns to crap. Been saying every year will be better for 19 years in this business almost. Still waiting for that better year :laugh:

Top Forums