What do you do during the winter months?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Ironman1088, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Andrew H

Andrew H LawnSite Silver Member

The only reason I mow, is to kill time until winter. Mowing is so repetitive, snow is stressful, but I don’t care if it rains, unless it freezes, that sucks

2. walkinonwater27

walkinonwater27 LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

Work for someone else In a landscaping field that you can learn and then offer. I’ve been cutting down trees for years for myself or someone else, prune for another guy and shovel for another guy. Working for other people isn’t big money but it’s steady work and you learn a new skill. I can’t sit around for 4 months it’s to boring, still find time to ice fish a few days a week of course and travel.

3. walkinonwater27

walkinonwater27 LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

Always gigs on Craigslist to , truck for hire all winter, moving, deliveries, dump runs etc

4. adkinslawncareobetz

adkinslawncareobetz LawnSite Member

I save all summer then take mid November and December off. I really enjoy family time all around the holidays. Then Janurary and February I work at an eyeglass factory. That is their peak season. I work my butt off and they love me there. They let me come back every year and they let me start when I want and quit when I want. Then March I do some small jobs and get everything ready for spring mowing. I get a lot of down time in March also so it is not stressful.

5. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Fanatic

Nicely Done. You've got a nice thing going.

6. Grassfire205

Grassfire205 LawnSite Senior Member

I do some clean ups the week before Thanksgiving and Christmas other than that i duck hunt and deer hunt every day. I put back enough each year to pay my bills for 5 or 6 months if i needed to. Saving is the key.

jonthepain and Cam15 like this.
  7. Marshall's Yard Service

Marshall's Yard Service LawnSite Member

I plan to get into snow removal. Also have thought about selling firewood, I love cutting wood and splitting it, by hand. And the idea of moving stuff with the lawn truck has come across my mind.

Cam15 likes this.
  8. zraffz

zraffz LawnSite Senior Member

I work a full time job and run a small (legitimate) lawn service company after work. It works out good because I get between 40-50 hours of OT a month during the winter so my income doesn't really change.

My brother owns a landscaping company and relies on pushing snow and firewood to make money in the winter. He cuts one customer's lawn for free all season long in exchange for 16 cords of uncut wood.

9. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

how are you guys talking about winter in the middle of summer? :laugh:

10. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

Cuz that’s what my dreams are about right now. Snow, freezing temps, a lil deer stand date, woodstove and pj’s, etc. Oh and coffee, lots of coffee.