1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

What do you do if you cut an invisible fence.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Marine03112, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Marine03112

Marine03112 LawnSite Bronze Member

Well cut an invisible fence today. I pulled an inch and a half cores. There line was no deeper than that. I did take pics etc. what do you all do in this situation? Swallow the cost? Turn it into insurance? Or tell the customer your not responsible?

2. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Florida

What does your contract say? Who was responsible for marking underground hazzards?

If if was the customer’s responsibility, then you should be off the hook.

If it was your responsibility, open up your wallet.

If you have no contract and this was a handshake deal...open up your wallet.

3. Marine03112

Roger going to turn it into my insurance. Sigh oh well

4. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Silver Member

They don't get buried very deep unfortunately. Did you know it was there?

These are one of the things we ask homeowners to flag for us. If they mark it wrong, it's on them not us. If you can locate the break they are easy to repair.

I've only broken one. It was the bosses, he forgot to tell anyone he had to install it because the new pup was jumping the fence. :laugh:

5. Marine03112

My thoughts Todd. Thanks for the reinforcement.

6. Marine03112

Ya my fault. Didn’t indicate in my flyer that this stuff had to be marked. Ugh. Saw the sign way to late.

7. That Guy Gary

If you don't think you can repair it yourself call around for some estimates first, this isn't a huge expense and I'd pay this one out of pocket rather than piss off my insurance with a small claim.

hort101 likes this.
  8. Marine03112

Well if it’s under 500 I will pay for it out of pocket if it’s over I will turn it in. I don’t have a deductible so what the heck. Ok off to aerate some more.

That Guy Gary likes this.
  9. That Guy Gary

Worst case scenario, too many breaks to bother tracing and you have to reinstall new wire. Cost is around $20/500 ft, installed into a shallow channel. I helped the boss fix his, I busted it up good so we ran new wire. Cut the channel with a stick edger, stuffed it in, tamped it down. Around 200-250 ft, finished it up in less than an hour.

ted putnam and hort101 like this.
  10. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Florida

Yeah, I’d try to fix before turning it over to insurance. You might not have a deductible, but they could nail you when you go to renew because you had the nerve to use the service you pay for.

On a call, ETM, hort101 and 2 others like this.