What do you do in monsoon season?

Marshall Reid

LawnSite Member
As I've mentioned elsewhere, my sons have a very part time lawn care business while they're in high school (about 25 customers). But once they finish college, they'll be taking it full time.

For the last 5 days, it's been raining here. Most days, it's been raining more hours than it has not. There have been torrential downpours as well as slow drizzles. Being part time, this doesn't affect them too badly. But what about when every single day is lined up with customers instead of just 2 days a week? Right now, being delayed in mowing is inconvenient, but unmowed yards aren't piling up one day after another.

But for y'all who are full time, what do you when you have 4-5 days of near constant rain? Do you just mow in the rain and deal with it? (Obviously, when there's lightning and thunder, I wouldn't expect anyone to be out mowing.) Do you only go out when it's not raining and find somewhere to wait it out when it is raining? Do you wait until you finally have a day free of rain and then start playing catch up?

If you are delayed a couple of days or more, does that affect your scheduling with the customer, or do you still go back to them the next scheduled day even though it's not been the normal length of time between visits?

Also, what advice can you pass along about mowing a very wet yard? I'm assuming as long as blades are maintained, the mower can handle doing this, correct? What if customers insist on waiting until it's dry(er) to mow? I suppose if you have yards piling up, there's no way you can do that, right? Otherwise, you'd be getting further and further behind.

And one final question. Is it harmful to the equipment to be out in the rain, whether mowing in the rain or driving along in the rain with the equipment on a trailer? Should you find shelter as quickly as possible to get everything out of the rain?

Thanks for your help. We're trying to learn these things now before they become a problem later!

Matthews Lawn Care

LawnSite Gold Member
As I've mentioned elsewhere, my sons have a very part time lawn care business while they're in high school (about 25 customers). But once they finish college, they'll be taking it full time.

For the last 5 days, it's been raining here. Most days, it's been raining more hours than it has not. There have been torrential downpours as well as slow drizzles. Being part time, this doesn't affect them too badly. But what about when every single day is lined up with customers instead of just 2 days a week? Right now, being delayed in mowing is inconvenient, but unmowed yards aren't piling up one day after another.

But for y'all who are full time, what do you when you have 4-5 days of near constant rain? Do you just mow in the rain and deal with it? (Obviously, when there's lightning and thunder, I wouldn't expect anyone to be out mowing.) Do you only go out when it's not raining and find somewhere to wait it out when it is raining? Do you wait until you finally have a day free of rain and then start playing catch up?

If you are delayed a couple of days or more, does that affect your scheduling with the customer, or do you still go back to them the next scheduled day even though it's not been the normal length of time between visits?

Also, what advice can you pass along about mowing a very wet yard? I'm assuming as long as blades are maintained, the mower can handle doing this, correct? What if customers insist on waiting until it's dry(er) to mow? I suppose if you have yards piling up, there's no way you can do that, right? Otherwise, you'd be getting further and further behind.

And one final question. Is it harmful to the equipment to be out in the rain, whether mowing in the rain or driving along in the rain with the equipment on a trailer? Should you find shelter as quickly as possible to get everything out of the rain?

Thanks for your help. We're trying to learn these things now before they become a problem later!
When it rains for 4-5 days straight, you either work in it or wait until it quits and start playing catch up. I won’t work if it’s raining for very long or very hard. I’ll finish the lawn if it’s not a tstorm.

Mowing a wet lawn isn’t too tricky as long as the ground is solid. Just have to know where it’s soft and stay off those areas. Either push mow or trim those areas.

Customers aren’t the professional, so they don’t get to determine what’s too wet or when it’s dry enough. Just know if you tear it up, you fix it on your dime.

I’ve never had a mower fail due to getting rained on. Sometimes I leave them out to get washed off by the rain.

Cam15

LawnSite Fanatic
I cut as long as it isn’t rutting. Or like last year it rained like 3 months straight, so I didn’t worry about rutting.

notoriousSTV

LawnSite Member
From your other post I assume these are every other week customers.....and thats the normal for your customer base in your area. With alot of rain you will have to get them cut asap....when its dry enough. If not they will get someone else. Your crew knows the lawns best, if you can cut it wet and make it look good, go for it. If not communicate with the customer, most should understand the delay, but not all. Now if a Wednesday lawn gets cut tomorrow. Saturday, make sure you get them back on the required Wednesday. A week and half away, if not then you have to be there 2 weeks away on Saturday and everything snow balls. And then you have problems. Run behind, but get them back to normal day asap. Its just challenge of eow. Now don't stress, you can't get to everyone at once. And no other grass cutters can. So chance to pick up work....any new ones get to quickly and rotate into your normal schedule. In your other post you mentioned someone who wanted to delay their 2 week schedule......unless u really really need. Move on. You will be picking up more yards if you can react quickly coz everyone is behind

Jeff@diyokc

LawnSite Senior Member
Light rain/drizzle cut it. Raise the deck up to help reduce clumping. I would hazard a guess some of the lawns are crab grassy or weedy, they won’t cut real well, but what’s your alternative? There really isn’t one.

JeremyKuhn

LawnSite Senior Member
Light rain or passing storm we just keep going or wait to lighten up.
Heavy rain we delay to a day or two later, I prioritize lawns do if we don't have time to do the entire 4 day schedule I'll hit the thicker/nicer 50% or whatever I want done.

But we go right back to normal schedule the next week, unless a homeowner tells us not to we don't care if it's 4-5 days instead of 7.