1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

What do you do in the winter??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tony1045, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Tony1045

Tony1045 LawnSite Member

Trying to plan for the near future, ie.. retiring from the 9-5 job (with pension)in a few years and doing the grounds maintenance/lawn care full time. But I've been racking my brain trying to figure out what to do in the winter time for income. I want to keep it in the landscape/landscape maintenance field, not just doing odd jobs. Snow plowing is one I'm considering, also selling firewood. What do you do???? :confused: Lets try to keep this clean AND legal. Thanks Tony

2. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

I chase the old lady around the house. Caught her a couple times last winter, but I think she slowed down on purpose.
    Crawdad

3. Tony1045

Tony1045 LawnSite Member

OK, I can see that, but it don't pay very well. :D

4. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Get a couple of good paying snow jobs and chill out for the rest of the winter...And save money while your cutting so winter isn't a big shock

5. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

woodworking/ furniture making, handyman, part-time bouncer at my buddy's bar

6. Gibs

Gibs LawnSite Member
    from canada

i work for a sheet metal company i delivery the ventalaztion duct and **** all over the maritimes in canada

7. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

but come every other week its nice in the winter no humidity or heat.

8. Del9175

Del9175 LawnSite Senior Member

When I did business up north, I sat around quite a few winters. Ocassionaly I got a part time job just for something to do.

In FL, I mow every other week, do some mulching, and pressure clean roofs and pool cages. IMO pressure cleaning is some easy money.

9. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

You could plow snow, up there, its a full time thing in the winter. down here, we dont get snow, so the plowing isnt an option, unless you own a dozer and want to plow the beach or the orange groves LOL

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I do the same with mine. She must have felt sorry for me too a couple of times....lol. We snow plow around 175 accounts btw.