Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Customer has a Olive tree (I believe) which was damaged badly in our 01' ice storm. The tree roots on one side were ripped out of the ground, while the other sides remained. So the tree sits crooked in the ground and isn't doing so well and isn't apealing. I have a pic

Customer wants to save the tree or propagate is for sentimental reasons (was a planting of her son twenty years ago). I can either fix, propagate or cut this tree down in theory. Which one's possible (besides just tree removal)? If it can't be saved it can't be saved.
Thanks
Ryan
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y281/popper357/GaryandBabeon7-6-05019.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y281/popper357/GaryandBabeon7-6-05018.jpg
And what's wrong with this rose bush? http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y281/popper357/GaryandBabeon7-6-05020.jpg

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Well if she doesnt care about it too much I would just cut it down, but if she would like to see the tree continue on you can try cabling it. Take a cable or rachet strap tie it to the tree and the fence or a stake in the ground and tighten it pulling the tree back, week by week you can tighten it little by little and eventually you should be able to prop it right up. Someone with better tree experience then me might be of more help but thats my suggest.

Jeff

·
Banned
5,112 Posts
as far as the rose goes I don't see anything wrong with it,it's a climber and should be properly pruned and the lawn and groundcover are eating it's food so get that away from it.Other than that it looks healthy to me.
The tree is a gonner.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
One of my clients had that happen to a tree. We did the ratchet strap game. Took quite a while but it is in good condition now. We've had some pretty big storms and it's still straight as an arrow!

·
Registered
394 Posts
There is always a risk of losing the tree if you do this but I would dig a huge hole around it and stand it back up properly. Ratchet Straps will never get the whole tree to grow straight again. You have to dig it up and stand the tree back correctly. Not a small job but in the long run you and the owner will be happy you did it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Personally I would cut the tree down but if you have to I would dig the tree like stated by lawn sharks. WOrse case is that it dies and then you get to cut it down. :) As for the rose; my guess is that it might be too shaded. I see a few trees in the picture and unless I am mistaken roses prefer full sun.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Sheshovel is right about the rose bush.

I would cut that tree down and replant it. But if the client is dead set on fixing it I would dig it out carfully and replant. lot of work. You could try digging out from the uprooted side then straightening it but if you go that route I would definatly go with some 2x bracing til your sure it took hold. If you dont have tree experience maybe think about consulting an arborist in your area. I sub out all my major tree work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wonder just how concerned this person is about this tree, and it appears to be a russian olive. If this tree was damaged in 01, why is the tree just now being tended too? Can it be saved? Probably, but the better question is, is it worth the bother and expense. I would soak the ground slowly for 1-2 evenings. Then I would spade down 12" deep on the holding side to loosen it a tad then I would place a expandable band around the trunk 3/4 the way up and anchor 180° away from the lean with a ground auger stake. AM Leonard may sell these, I know Karl Keummerling Inc does. I operated a full service tree service for over 20 years and I saved several trees like this, though I doubt any had been damaged for this length of time being we worked on it. The roots on the oposite side may be very tight by now. Good luck.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If we stake and slowly pull this tree back into place via a ratchet strap or come along (probably come along), will this tree develop new roots? How long will the pulling process take? How often to pull? All in general terms please (I'll make judegement calls along the way, but I'd like to have an idea upfront).

I'd leave the tree strapped through the first winter and a tripod rope/stake for the first full year. Sound about right? Hope so... the straps and comealong will be a maintenance/ safety issue. (there is a good place to attach a come along: steel fence post)
Thanks
Ryan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.