1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

What do you drive????

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Bobcat s250 NY, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Bobcat s250 NY

Bobcat s250 NY Banned
    from texas

Hey guy since i started in this business i was never sure what to drive when i go on my estimates. What do you guys drive? I dont have a pick up truck that i see many guys driving around. I only have my dump, flatbed, and box truck. I have thought to drive my personal car, but didnt know if it would seem un professional. Any thoughts????:gunsfirin

2. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

I use my personal vehicle. It's a Ford Explorer Sport. Not too crappy, not too fancy! I do alot of estimates and I would rather be a little more comfortable while driving, plus it is waaayyy better on gas than any of my trucks.

Chris

3. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

I rent a limo. I think that if the potential customer sees me pull up in a limo, they will think I am successful and, therefore, good at what I do.

Yeah, I have my whole entourage in there: my vendor, foreman, laborers, accountant, etc. Sometimes, Chris from CGLAND makes a guest appearance. It's pretty cool. Expensive, but cool.

Seriously, I use my 1993 F-250 pickup. It has new paint and is respectable, but not even close to fancy. Sometimes, when all of my trucks are in the shop or leaking or not available, I have to use my wife's car, which I don't like to do because it is somewhat fancy.

4. Drafto

Drafto LawnSite Senior Member

I use my truck, which is my only company vehicle, or my wifes Durango. Once I thought about going on an estimate in one of my guy's Cavalier so I could leave my truck with them, I coudn't do it.

I think the way some of us think is funny though. I called a very reputable siding and roof company once for an estimate and didn't think anything of the Subaru Outback the guy pulled up in. But for me? I would never do it, don't know why though? Maybe I wouldn't fit in one.:)

I do like taking the Durango on estimates, besides the cookie crumbs from the kids, it is nice and roomy and neat. I think the SUV approach is more palletable to me.

Dan

5. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

One time I pulled up in my moms landrover discovery (my truck was in the shop) and the guy made a comment like"You shouldn't drive a car that nice, you must be charging too much." Well I DON"T drive a car that nice (1993 f-350) but it pissed me off. What, we can't be successful? Charged that guy a $500.00 a$$hole fee though which made up for itpayup

6. Drafto

Before you say ANYTHING Chris, I know I overused the word "think" in this post.

Dan

7. cgland

GEEZ Dan - I think I'm giving you a complex!.......I think!

Chris

8. cgland

By the way Dan! I thought you drove a Scion? What custom options did you choose? :laugh:

Chris

9. Drafto

Where are your job pictures for this thread?:confused:

10. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

My 1940 Ford Standard pick up truck with flathead Ford 100HP V-8. Straight pipes running up the cab back, oak floor, roll tuck seats, 3 on the floor.

Spoked Ford wheels. No, I don't use Fords for any type of serious work, they cost too much to maintain.