1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

what do you enjoy the most

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MikeLT1Z28, Apr 7, 2002.

1. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

what do you enjoy the most out of what you do. sure the money is good, but what do you really enjoy? i love the smooth look of a fresh cut lawn with good square edges.

2. slplow

slplow LawnSite Senior Member

I would have to say just working out side is the best part of being a landscaper.

3. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I'm with you Mike. Nothing beats a good clean edge.

I always blow the crack!
    The one the edger makes.
    To clean it out real good.
    So it's real defined.

I guess some would call me weird but I enjoy driving by the properties I service ( when I'm on schedule) and see how darn good they look.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I love every part of it except for trimming. When I get really down on the trimming I remind myself that they used to do it with hand clippers back in the "old days". That usually picks me up.

5. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

Cutting. Except my own lawn. (just don't like cutting that one)

6. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

I like it best when a customer calls to say what a great job a crew has done...... and I also enjoy telling the entire company of that phone call at the Monday morning meeting.

7. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

Another thing that gives me great pleasure is when I'm told that one of our employees tells someone where they work, and the reaction is "I hear that's a great place to work"....

8. f350

f350 Banned
    from mi

i enjoy the sale.... when i was in school i thought about being a broker. then i realized i couldn't afford schooling. well uncle sam said he would flip the bill, ya right. i like the big sale the most, when the adrenolin flows, the kind that takes 2 hours and 3 beers to get down..... thats what i love

9. kerr lawn

kerr lawn LawnSite Member

I love when i drive by my properties and it looks so good i'm speechless. Or when a customer gets a compliment and passes it on. The smile and a thank you goes a long way.

The working part of it watching the z master fly by cutting grass at 10 mph, listening to my 18 hp twin cylinder on my 48" roar and scream crying mommy mommy when i have to cut high grass. Operating the chain saw cutting through trees like butter.

The worst part of this j o b is when I underestimate like i did this week i planned 33 yards of mulch and used 47. This sucked really really bad.

peace
    bryan

10. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Being my own boss is nice, the money is pretty good, and the flexibility I have in my schedule is great. But that's not it.

I've had a lot of jobs. It always seemed that I worked hard, but I couldn't ever see where much got done. What I like most about this line of work is that I feel as if I've actually accomplished something. I also get a lot of compliments about my owrk, and that does good things for my ego, too.