What do you gross per day, per crew?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by jrs.landscaping, Aug 26, 2012.

1. highlander316

highlander316 LawnSite Senior Member

the question should also include the amount of hours per day. Some people do 8, 10, 12.

2. RSK Property Maintenance

RSK Property Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

mowing i can do my whole route in one day with a 2 man crew, counting me as a crew member, but its a 10hr day. but its 900 dollars, with another mower and man i can do every lawn in 7 hours. and theres probably 2-3 hours of drive time in my route. if i was time how long it takes to get from one account to the next, most are a 15-30 min drive. i hope to fill in the gaps some next year, or atleast get 5-10 accounts in 3-4 of the towns i'm already in. mowing is the least profitable thing i do, with chipping jobs i have done 2000 a day with a 3 man crew for a few days out of the week for about a month straight, it was my best month so far. plant installs i can do 3500 a day with 3 man crew as well and that's only a 7 hour day, i've done that quite a bit too. not as much as the chipping jobs, 1000 a day chipping is really easy to do and common for me with only a 2 man crew. i almost never have more then 1 crew going at once, i like to be on every job to ensure the quality is up to my par, i'm kinda ocd about my work, especially clean ups, whether it been a storm clean up and i'm just chipping brush or a fall clean up, i want the lawn or area spotless, no matter what the conditions were before i got there.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  3. RSK Property Maintenance

RSK Property Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

just looked at my invoice for my mower and i've had it for 11 weeks now and i'm at 73hrs, so my route has about 6.5hrs of mowing time per week. damn i need to get more accounts for this beast.

4. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

Add another $50 for fuel and oil and then $250 for 8 hours of labor from 2 guys. This puts you in $350 for the day. You need to gross $600 to that crew to make it work.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  5. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

328 per man per day based on 4 10 hour days per week.

6. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

:laugh: The new Walker that I run was delivered the end of June and already has 320 hours.

7. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

This is the number I keep coming up with as the "low point" during the week. $800 is where I would like to be, but I could make it work for $600.

8. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

My goal is to do that as well. Keep growing with me and 1 dependable guy and then buy a better truck and send him off with a helper. I would like to get to the point where I can have 4 solid days of mowing grossing $750-$900/day. At that rate this should work out well and I would be able to keep the lead guy on year round. My biggest problem seems to be getting enough regular mowing customers to do this, it does get better every year though. I'm looking forword to the day I can start a second truck/route myself.

9. GreenPro7

GreenPro7 LawnSite Member

Did mowing for years and no where near as profitable as spraying. We average 800-1100 per day per man. That is a normal business day. Profit margin does change with the season depending on what we are spraying but overall it is around the 72% profit margin.

10. muddywater

muddywater LawnSite Bronze Member

I sub my spraying but i have heard the same thing. My friend does $125 per man hour on spraying