1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

What do you guys charge for bed edging?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by chefcam864, Apr 16, 2014.

1. chefcam864

chefcam864 LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device

2. chefcam864

I accidentally posted this with no text. By the time I had it written more than 10 mins had passed. Sorry.

This will be my 3rd season in lawn care, and I'm a small, one man company. Im a full time college student, and this is how I pay the bills. I do this work because I really enjoy it, and it is the best part time income I can make. Plus, it gives me experience running a small company. I focus on maintenance almost exclusively, but have been branching out into fert/weed control. ( I already had insurance on my company, and being a student I could take the applicators exam for $35. I figured why not?)
    Anyways, I gave the long intro so you guys could understand where I'm coming from. A customer asked me about edging his flower beds last week, so I measured them. It came out to about 230 linear feet. I told him I'd do it for $220, and he balked. I thought it was a fair price, but I'm not sure. I'd have to rent a machine for $65 to do it. However, I've been wanting to edge my mother's beds for her, and figured I could kill 2 birds with one stone. Am I way off here? I felt I might have been low, if anything. I try not to lowball, and when I do it's usually out of ignorance. How would you guys price a job like this? Sorry if it's kind of a dumb question, but I've found pricing jobs is one of those things that can be tough.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Spade. No need for a machine
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. chefcam864

I thought about breaking out the edging knife, but I'd rather use the machine so I could do my mothers beds. It'd be a nice surprise with Mother's Day coming up. How would you price it?
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. AMW Landscaping

AMW Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Here is a recent thread that might help you out. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=423268 Again i would use a spade. Just charged 80 bucks for 150 feet of edging with a spade. Once you get the hang of it you can do it pretty quickly.

6. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

I would have been at the same price as you.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. chefcam864

In the thread , it seems like they're talking about sidewalks etc. I have a stick edger for that. I'm talking about cutting a trench round the flower beds. I may not have explained it so well.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. AMW Landscaping

AMW Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I got it. Was not sure if they were also talking about bed edging on that thread.

9. Grant11

Grant11 LawnSite Senior Member

I usually go at 70 to 80 cents a foot. I don't think a dollar a foot is uncommon in the industry. Your price isn't bad.

10. chefcam864

I thought if seemed reasonable, but I'd never bid a job like it before and thought I might have been way off
    Posted via Mobile Device