1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

What do you guys do to find a employee?

Discussion in 'Employment' started by arl250, Oct 3, 2017.

1. stringfellohawk

stringfellohawk LawnSite Senior Member

2. C&C Landscaping

C&C Landscaping LawnSite Member

I think your find that it does require a dot, at lest it does in De. Our insurance Co require a drug test if any one is in an accident. If anyone is hurt on the job and goes for medical attention a test is done.

3. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey, I had a veteran working for me a few years back...Wish I had known about the tax break...

4. fivestarlandscapes

fivestarlandscapes LawnSite Member

Im just glad its not just me with employee problems. I was starting to wonder.

Mitty87 and hort101 like this.
  5. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

It's pretty much all physical labor jobs and entry level positions are short on helpThumbs Up and retaining the current employees:wall

6. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Cops drawing blood is a huge liability and is likely to be history soon. It has risks in a clinical environment much less the side of a road.

https://www.azduiatty.com/the-dangers-of-phleboto-cops.htm

Hair follicle testing machines require 1.5" or greater length so it won't work on everyone. I still sport a flattop so 1/4" is it. Armpit, leg and pubic hair is not allowed for testing.

7. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

It's getting harder to find younger, trainable ones. You also have to have some path of upward mobility to keep the experienced ones interested.

hort101 likes this.
  8. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

drug tests don't prove the driver was under the influence at the time.
    There's PLENTY of medical use permits in California and I'm sure there's plenty of accidents, people aren't getting refused employment, not allowed to drive or refused insurance nor are they getting arrested left and right in california for a little bit of pot use.

9. TPendagast

Male

Really?

you have to have head hair?

Strange,they can force you to give up head hair (kinda personal invasion) but they can't get some leg or arm pit hair? Seems like an illogical obstacle.

10. TPendagast

Male

trainable?

youth aren't trainable in the first place.
    they know everything,
    they've been coddled
    they've been provided for.

There's no sink or swim mentality.
    There's no work or starve.

Humans are pretty tenacious, but simultaneously lazy.
    if you challenge them, they will rise to the occasion, sure a few will starve/drown and die because their slow witted but most people have skills/talents/abilites they never realized because they havent been without.

That's what the military basically does, well anything that not a POG MOS.
    They develop people through necessity.
    you start with the same snot nosed no it alls, until you take their **** and their identity and force them to produce.

Im fairly certain, from what I've seen on video,asian cultures work force training programs are amazingly similar to basic training.
    People subject themselves to the process because decent careers are few and far between, opportunities aren't handed to you and social handout programs are non existent.

All thats required, IMO, is a high school curriculum that forces teenagers to perform.
    this business of passing them to the next grade (so you graduate in four years no matter what) is crap.
    all kids have to do is park their ass, socialize and wait four years to graduate,
    Then they show up to your work place trying to do that same thing.

You don't pass english, and I DO mean english, not your native language... and you don't graduate.
    IF you don't move on past high school in five years time, we have roads that need paving and garbage that needs picking, and you don't qualify for social programs and unemployment OR minimum wage without a GED or HS diploma, so better start learning to produce.

Patriot Services likes this.