1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

What do you include with your estimates?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimLewis, Feb 21, 2001.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Hey, just wanted to compare notes on what you guys include with your estimate package when you leave one for a potential customer who's not home. I've seen some companies who leave an entire presentation folder with an estimate and 5 other pages of information, testimonials, etc. about the company. Then I've seen others who simply write it on blank form and that's it.

If I leave someone an estimate for lawn care I include the two estimates (one for each of the two packages we offer) and a business card. I reference the web site on the estimates and point them to the site for references, pictures, etc. Then I leave my biz card and I put all this in an envelope and leave it taped to the door.

Side note: I learned long ago that if you don't leave an estimate in an envelope, other landscapers will take a peek at it.

Anyway, just curious what kind of stuff you guys leave people.

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

If they aren't going to be there, I try to specifically find out what they are looking for. I will price that and then if anything else should be done I will put that in as a side item. IE aerating, mulching, seeding, etc. I put mine in an envelope also. If someone is doing a bid they don't know what is inside and they may not destroy it. I have seen my bid replaced with someone elses.

3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I like the idea of using company envelopes when leaving proposals. I will try this. In the past we just tri-folded them and stapled a biz card to them.

PROPERTY MAINTENANCE
    Mowing & Edging
    Spring Clean-Up
    Pruning & Shearing
    Mulching
    Fall Clean-Up

WEED -N- FEED
    April: Fertilizer w/ Crabgrass Control
    May: Fertilizer w/ Weed Control
    June: Fertilizer w/ Surface Insect Control
    Sept.: Fertilizer w/ Weed Control
    Oct.: Fertilizer w/ Winterizer
    Grub Control

RENOVATION SERVICES
    Dethatching:
    Core Aeration:
    Granular Lime:
    Pelletized Lime:

Thanks for the idea and hope this helps Jim.
    Kris

[Edited by kutnkru on 02-21-2001 at 04:45 PM]

4. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the input so far. But just to further explain what I was looking for; I was mostly interested in what you all included IN ADDITION TO your estimate. That is, do you put it in a nice folder? Do you leave it in an envelope? Do you include additional papers with info on your company, testimonials, etc.? Do you include a business card?

The reason I asked was I know a few companies in my area who leave this really nice, professional folders with tons of papers in them. They must spend $2 on every bid they make, just in the presentation. Typically these are used on the bids they give to the $500K and up homes. It seems like a lot of extra crap to me, but I wondered if it was effective.

5. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry about the confusion Jim.

To answer the ORIGINAL question, NO I would not leave them with this abundance of overflowing garble to have them discard information that may have been beneficial at a later date.

Instead I would leave them the other information throughout the season say 3 weeks prior to the times you plan to render those services.

I would consider plotting advertising your "flyers" like this:
    Spring Clean-Up: April
    Aeration: May
    Landscaping: June
    Over-Seeding: September
    Fall Clean-Up: October

I think that by putting your name out say every 4-5 weeks that you will find better results than all at once in the beginning of the season.

Just my .02
    Kris

6. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I usually throw in a business card, newsletter an explanation of services and a referance sheet (ref sheet only comm. accts.)