1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about enhanced efficiency fertilizers with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

What do you net? (POLL)

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by rgodwin, Oct 10, 2016.

?

What do you net? (Your individual profit)

1. 30k or less

52 vote(s)
    36.6%
  2. 30k-60k

34 vote(s)
    23.9%
  3. 60k-100k

26 vote(s)
    18.3%
  4. 100k +

21 vote(s)
    14.8%
  5. I made enough to run for president.

9 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. TXPL

TXPL LawnSite Member

Right. I think people forget the fact that no job, whether it's your own business, or working for someone else, is completely secure.

RYNOss likes this.
  2. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

If I had a college education I'd be working a regular job for the health insurance alone. Having a family, Health insurance is a sore subject. The best plan we could get has a monthly premium larger than our monthly mortgage and the deductible is high. I do 80k gross now and net close to 50k aND my wife works as well. She's looked for jobs with insurance but they rarely exist in her field. I make good money for the time I put in. However, plenty of room to expand as I'm not nearly maxed out as I am Pretty much part time. The flexibility with my schedule makes it easier to be there for my kid when he gets off the bus each day so no long days for me these days. I like my job it's easy money. Taxes and insurance kill me tho. Lol.

JLSLLC likes this.
  3. TXPL

TXPL LawnSite Member

You say that, but there is a point where money becomes less important and your quality of life takes precedence.

4. Enjoi829

Enjoi829 LawnSite Senior Member

No disrepect to you personally, but thats a classic poor person / "middle class" mindset, money is almost a direct reflection of your quality of life, no?

Without money you cannot provide for your family any necessities, let alone extras.

So where do you draw the line? How much is enough money to where you cater to your family rather than your financial future, which includes your family in high regard.

Money is essential to life no matter how you slice it, you need to build the complete package. Work life balance, happy wife, happy life. I dont know many happy wives that are flat broke. Increasing your income cannot hurt anyone, unless you dont know how to control different aspects of your life.

5. Enjoi829

Welcome to the club brother, Insurance SUCKS for a family, but you gotta have it.

Luckily for you you can take advantage of the tax deductions.

6. TXPL

TXPL LawnSite Member

You got all of that by me saying your own personal happiness is more important than money?

7. TXPL

TXPL LawnSite Member

There is obviously money to be made. I have a degree in a field that I don't even work in. I have another job that is better paying. It's not the end all be all.

8. Enjoi829

Not quite, I didnt say anything about personal happiness being compared to money.

I said Money is essential to a wholesome life, therefore make it in abundance.

Money cant buy you happiness, but you can bring happiness with money

9. TXPL

TXPL LawnSite Member

I know you didn't. Re-read what I wrote

10. PLLandscape

PLLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Talking about money and happiness. I have friends & family who earn in the $150,000 - $200,000+ per year. The top earners in each have very stressful jobs. But when asked would you rather be paid well and have job stress or less job stress but money stress, very quickly they all said job stress. Money doesn't buy happiness but it sure makes stuff a lot easier. Many have huge retirement savings already. Man it would be so fun to work knowing your retirement is already secure.

Once the kids are finally out of daycare next year and a few of my monthly payments start to disappear I'm going to feel like I'm rich! But having jobs that just don't pay well enough, even if fun and relatively easy, cause me more stress than anything. Funny thing is with our combined incomes I never thought I'd feel so stressed.

Again, a lot of life changes coming next fall and hopefully another busy landscape season to start stuffing my retirement accounts with.

As I said above, money doesn't buy happiness but man it can sure make life much easier and fun.