What do you net? (POLL)

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by rgodwin, Oct 10, 2016.

?

What do you net? (Your individual profit)

1. 30k or less

157 vote(s)
    41.2%
  2. 30k-60k

92 vote(s)
    24.1%
  3. 60k-100k

69 vote(s)
    18.1%
  4. 100k +

50 vote(s)
    13.1%
  5. I made enough to run for president.

13 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. Mitty87

Mitty87 LawnSite Silver Member

Yea if someone was to do 50k materials and 50k they could pull that in less than 1000 man hours. That would still be working full days every weekend all year though.

2. guitarman2420

guitarman2420 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Midlothian, VA

Men overestimate their income when they own their own business just like they overestimate their ........ size of the fish they caught.:hammerhead:

weeze likes this.
  3. Ferris Man

Ferris Man LawnSite Member

I am deciding whether to do full time lawn care or become a police officer and do it part time. I am working for my dad's lawn service and really like it but I also have a desire to serve in law enforcement. I know lots of cops have part time work that they do. Just don't know if doing that and lawn care would be to much.

4. kemco

kemco LawnSite Silver Member

That actually crossed my mind over this winter. We are about $20k short (gross) of where we normally are over the fall and winter months. And Ill be honest its been a struggle. I was thinking what I could do at my age 46, probably in some of the best physical shape I have ever been in. In my city there is no age upper limit (yes, thats how bad we need cops here) as long as you can pass the physical and mental test. But then I really thought about it. Most of the day in a car riding or driving (cant stand driving around) and then dealing for the most part with the worst of the worst of individuals. All day (or night). It takes a special person to do that and my hat is off to them and I thank them. But in restrospect fall season for us is done today... time to put a crappy fall behind and make it a heck of a good summer run. I love being outside. The thought of riding around all day I dont think I could put up with it... but more power to you. I dont want to be a downer. A younger guy that worked for me for a summer the year before he graduated always wanted to be a cop. And he now has been for a little over a year. Ran into him at a store and asked how he liked it. I have never seen someone look more depressed. He just said "it is what it is." He works graveyard shift. Anyway, big thanks to all cops, firepeople, military all first responders!!

Doc8406 and Ferris Man like this.
  5. Ferris Man

Ferris Man LawnSite Member

That’s what I not for sure of if I would like it. I think I would enjoy it, I enjoy driving. As far as dealing with people that is just something that comes along with the job and I know that some just couldn’t handle it. I also love being outside. I’m never happier than when I’m on a mower. We don’t have a very big operation so I think I could make it work to do both. Just something I’ve been thinking about.

6. Carolina Cuttin' Company

Carolina Cuttin' Company LawnSite Senior Member

1. Maybe a $2K
    2. Close to $0. I have a lot of equipment to buy.
    3. 6 accounts.
    4. 1/2 years.

That being said, I don't have a lot of experience but: AVOID THE CORPORATE WORLD AT ALL COSTS! IT WILL KILL YOU! Just my opinion. I like manual labor anyway.

On the other hand, I don't know what you did in college, but it kind of seems pointless to go to college and then go into a line of business that doesn't call for much of your learning. Of course, that's the story of most college grads, and you'll be owning your own business instead of working at McDonald's. Again, I don't know what you took in college. I'm 18 and I don't intend to so much as consider going to college before I retire, so take everything I say will a salt lick. (A grain being too little.)

Cam15 likes this.
  7. GaryBK

GaryBK LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

I started my business in university and graduated from Business school with a degree in Commerce. I looked for a job but was making more in the summer with the Feed and Weed business than I would make in the business world starting out. So I continued on with the business and 30 years later my wife who runs the office and myself together take home well into six figures.. Our biggest problem is reducing the taxes. I love this business. We work incredible hours from March to end on October, but then we basically take the winter off. This winter we did 2 weeks in Florida, did Disney took a Disney cruise and spent time on a "cabin" in st petersburg that was in November. Then in March we did 10 days in Mexico. We have never vacationed that late in the winter season and it was a bit stressful as it starts getting busy. My wife brought a laptop and her cellphone and worked returning calls and emails in the evening and in the morning. LOL If you love the work go for it. The spring rush is hard. That is where you book most of your customers for the year. Lost of renewals are during the winter and you can live on people prepaying for their services. You will be booking lots of customers in May and June. New customers make up the growth and you try to rebook all of your old customers. We average book 30 customers a day during May and June. Most of them new customers as the old have already signed up by this time. Last Thursday we booked 45 customers. :)

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  8. Carolina Cuttin' Company

Carolina Cuttin' Company LawnSite Senior Member

45 customers in one day?! Do you run multiple crews? Use those robotic lawn mowers? Both?

9. Mitty87

Mitty87 LawnSite Silver Member

So you are basically taking on 2000 new clients in just May and June? How many more during the rest of the year?? How many cancellations do you have each year? You must have what, like 25,000 clients? Where about in Canada are you?

10. GaryBK

GaryBK LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

Just fertilizer and weed control and aeration. Goal is 3000 accounts this year.