What do you net? (POLL)

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by rgodwin, Oct 10, 2016.

?

What do you net? (Your individual profit)

1. 30k or less

158 vote(s)
    41.3%
  2. 30k-60k

92 vote(s)
    24.0%
  3. 60k-100k

69 vote(s)
    18.0%
  4. 100k +

51 vote(s)
    13.3%
  5. I made enough to run for president.

13 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. GaryBK

GaryBK LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

We are looking at a total of 3000 by end of June if projections continue from last 2 years of growth. 25,000 lol. I wish. But the website is doing good for us. We have a long weekend this weekend and we were going to take the whole weekend off. We have a remote office in our home and my wife answered phones today. We were just talking she said she booked enough work today to pay for the Belieze trip we are planning this fall..

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  2. Mitty87

Mitty87 LawnSite Silver Member

Where are you located in Canada? I'm on the coast in Nanaimo, BC

3. GaryBK

GaryBK LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

4. South Hills Lawns

South Hills Lawns LawnSite Member

I was a police officer for a very short time and highly recommend you to weigh the pros and cons before embarking on such a career move.

You will be working shifts, mandatory overtime, weekends, holidays and just about every other crappy duty you can think of for years.

Policing today in age is different as it was in the past. Everyone has an opinion more so now because of the internet, their are eyes on you everywhere you go because of cameras. Police are not liked.

To say you’ll be dealing with the worst of the worst is an understatement. The job will change you for the worst. If you have a family consider the divorce rate and suicide rate, there is a reason for it.

I hope you can handle seeing blown off heads, people’s bodies after they jump 30 stories, people burnt to a crisp, and dealing with horrible domestic situations in people’s homes.

And don’t forget the office politics and paperwork. That is oftentimes worse than any of the aforementioned.

5. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Bronze Member

Now now, i know severale police officers who enjoy what they do, there are rewards to the job.

Policing today is different because cops can't pull stupid crap like they used too. Crooked cops are less numerous due to everybody constantly being on camera. I know cops who said they prefer this because it keeps their departments cleaner.

Ferris Man likes this.
  6. Ferris Man

Ferris Man LawnSite Member

Yeah, I get what your saying and I've already decided not to make law enforcement my career, but not necessarily for the the reasons stared above. I am thinking about becoming a reserve deputy in my county, has anybody had any experience with that?

7. cold-beer

cold-beer LawnSite Member

I'll probably net about 30k this year. Not bad for only working 4 days a week for 8 months out of the year. I make another 15-20k cleaning cars 12 hours a week through a 1099 contract

8. cold-beer

cold-beer LawnSite Member

I owned a landscaping business in my early 20's before I went back to school to get a business degree onthe advice of family members that convinced me that I was "too smart to work with my hands." I ended up working in insurance and investments as well as working as a district manager for a marketing firm for many years and absolutely hated both. I left that life last year to go back into working for myself, and it's the best decision that I've ever made. I literally drive around and cut grass all day while listening to music and dealing with almost zero BS.

I made about 70k as a corporate slave with no life, and I'm on pace to make about 30k as a first year new business owner in a field that I already had a few years experience in. I supplement my income with a couple other gigs at the moment, but I think I could be making 50-60k as a solo guy in just a couple years with a few months off in the winter to spend in my RV down south.

Choose your path wisely young man
    Working for the man is a lot harder than it used to be. You might make a few more bucks, but you also might hate your life. Technology has made it possible for large businesses to micro-manage you into a nervous wreck

9. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I have a day job but truth is I get a lot more sense of purpose doing physical work like mowing.

hal and Marshall's Yard Service like this.
  10. South Hills Lawns

South Hills Lawns LawnSite Member

Wasn’t basing it on being crooked at all. People are always in your face. There are more people that are anti cop more than ever.

And the facts speak for themselves with divorce and suicide. I commend anyone who can do it. Especially in a rough city. Good luck!