What do you net? (POLL)

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by rgodwin, Oct 10, 2016.

?

What do you net? (Your individual profit)

1. 30k or less

158 vote(s)
    41.1%
  2. 30k-60k

93 vote(s)
    24.2%
  3. 60k-100k

69 vote(s)
    18.0%
  4. 100k +

51 vote(s)
    13.3%
  5. I made enough to run for president.

13 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. Gus McGee

Gus McGee LawnSite Member

That is true. Though running a business, at least if you get large enough to require several employees and crews, is not all roses either. I have more stress now than when I worked at various different employers. Occasionally every year I think about selling the business and going to work for someone else to reduce my stress level.

As a decent sized business owner I get to deal with these issues on a nearly daily or frequent basis - unreliable employees, neurotic customers, equipment problems, worrying about selling enough work to keep all employees employed and busy, and customers trying to do their best to avoid paying the money they owe us.

Some days I feel like packing it in and just going to work for someone else.

2. 997carrera

997carrera LawnSite Member

Probably not a good first post for me :dancing: but I had to sign up after lurking for a bit... this will sound offensive but its mainly that I feel stupid because I'm wondering what I'm missing. The low amount of income for first year guys is understandable based on differing starts, but after that do you not advertise/market/gain contacts and word of mouth? The people who's net income is like 30 percent of their gross...where in gods name is the money going? Is everyone up north and only working a shorter season? Charging 20 bucks a lawn? Does your truck cost more than your house? thanks :usflag:

3. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Fanatic

I'm really not sure what your point is ?
    Do you think 30% of gross is to low or to high?

4. 997carrera

997carrera LawnSite Member

Point being, that it seems quite low

5. Marshall's Yard Service

Marshall's Yard Service LawnSite Senior Member

I hadn't really thought about it but I agree with you. I think it's a lot more than that further down the road from startup.

6. brichter14

brichter14 LawnSite Bronze Member

30% net from gross is really good. Big companies have said 10% is pretty common. Now if you're solo and are in mowing only i would say 30% is low because your overhead should be small.

7. cold-beer

cold-beer LawnSite Member

I think a lot of businesses try to start out big instead of building it up, which results in massive overhead because they often are paying for equipment that they barely use and employees that they really don't need.

If I gross $350 in a day, I net about $300. I know a guy that's in his 2nd year that only keeps about 30% of his gross
    Because he spends gobs of money on marketing and he's financed a bunch of machines he doesn't really need yet. I think a lot of people have this misconception that you need a 60 inch zero turn mower to make a buck in this industry.
    The truth is that a solo guy can make some decent money with a 21-inch Honda commercial and a good Combi system if he's not lazy

8. 205mx

205mx LawnSite Silver Member

If I made 30%, I would make well over $300,000 per year.

Trust me when I say: that ain’t the case!

(Yet!)

9. weeze

weeze Banned

30%? i make more like 65% profit and still don't make enough money to live. :laugh:

30% i would be in bankruptcy....almost there at 65%.

10. snomaha

snomaha LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

Last time I checked, nobody works for free in their company - quit confusing a paycheck for what you do and a return/profit on the business you own.

Cam15 likes this.