1. Maintaining Company Culture During Stressful Times

How do you maintain a positive company culture during a time of social distancing, economic uncertainty, and health worries? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

What do you net? (POLL)

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by rgodwin, Oct 10, 2016.

?

What do you net? (Your individual profit)

1. 30k or less

171 vote(s)
    41.4%
  2. 30k-60k

98 vote(s)
    23.7%
  3. 60k-100k

72 vote(s)
    17.4%
  4. 100k +

59 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. I made enough to run for president.

13 vote(s)
    3.1%
  1. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i pay myself all of my profit after expenses which is 65% roughly. if i get my mower paid off then my profit will be 70%.

30%? really? there's no way to make it on that if you are a small solo business. maybe for a big company that is the norm after paying all the employees and everything but 30% of a million dollars a year is more than 70% of $30k a year so they are making a lot more money than a solo guy despite having more expenses.

they are making $300k at 30% where i am making $20 something thousand at 70%. :laugh:

2. snomaha

snomaha LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

If you pay yourself all the money left over after expenses, you have no profit.

Cam15 likes this.
  3. Green Mentorship

Green Mentorship LawnSite Senior Member
    from Heaven

Talking french to someone who speaks Spanish is pretty clearly a silly thing to do. It's the same was talking true business accounting with most here.

4. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

the money i pay myself is the profit. i'm in business for Me. I am my company!!! that's what a solo operation is. sole proprietor.

sure i try to save money for repairs, mowers, etc. etc. for the business but it all comes out of my pocket regardless. you can separate it out into different things if you want to but it doesn't change the fact that it comes out of "your" pocket either way you look at it. :laugh:

when you are only grossing $30k a year you can't really run it the way you guys are talking about running it. you can't pay your bills on $10k a year.

you don't seem to understand the difference between "small business" and "big business" ..... there's a big difference.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  5. Green Mentorship

Green Mentorship LawnSite Senior Member
    from Heaven

When I was your size, I was bright eyed and eager to ID who on lawnsite had knowledge I could learn from. I then asked questions and soaked up all the knowledge they volunteered.

With you, you seem like you don't want to learn. You justify why you see things how you do or why you do things a certain way. That's ok, but at least shut up if you are ignorant on an issue.

6. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

you shut up and get off your high horse. i've been in business for 10 years. i've been on lawnsite longer than you. :laugh:

i'm actually getting out of the business and taking another job so who really cares? grow up and stop acting like a 12 year old kid. there isn't one way to run a business. every business is different. there is no one size fits all approach to doing things.

7. 997carrera

997carrera LawnSite Member

wow that got heated. Okay maybe from a more constructive and solution minded perspective: at 30k sure its thin, but in your ten years experience what have you found to be the reason it hasn't progressed to a point where you see yourself banking "profit" for the company and paying yourself as well. 10 years is a long time to build customer base. Market may be small?

Cam15 likes this.
  8. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

that's why it's called owning your own business. you do things your way. you don't just copy what everyone else is doing.

do i know what it takes to run a multi-million dollar company? nope. i never planned on having that kind of a business. it's too much headache that i wouldn't want to deal with. i wanted to keep things simple.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  9. 997carrera

997carrera LawnSite Member

love Kacey Musgraves, as long as she keeps the political views inside and social justice causes low key

10. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i've made many posts explaining this already in other threads. the market here is bad. the good customers are old and they pass away on you after a few years then you have to start over from scratch. it's very up and down from season to season. it's not steady. you may gain 10 customers a year but you lose 5. some years you may gain 5 and lose 10. you just never know what will happen.

people die, move, decide to buy a mower, get their grandkid to mow it because they need some money, etc. etc. whatever reason you can think of happens. it's never from me doing a bad job or not keeping up my end of the agreement. it's always things out of my control.