What do you net? (POLL)

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by rgodwin, Oct 10, 2016.

?

What do you net? (Your individual profit)

1. 30k or less

157 vote(s)
    41.1%
  2. 30k-60k

92 vote(s)
    24.1%
  3. 60k-100k

69 vote(s)
    18.1%
  4. 100k +

51 vote(s)
    13.4%
  5. I made enough to run for president.

13 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

let's get back to discussing the topic and refrain from the uncalled for back and forth the last few pages, please

thanks

2. weeze

weeze Banned

the poll speaks for itself guys. just look at the results. don't listen to all this nonsense people spread on here.

pretty much 50% make $30k or less a year. I'm sure some have lied in the votes as well saying they made enough to run for president. :laugh:

3. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

I think the poll is falling right where expected. Many guys are completely content to plateau at a certain level. I was there for many years until I found myself needing to help out family during the recession. As I said earlier it takes a different skillset at different stages of growth. Some guys are willing to learn these and others want stability.

4. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

The key is 40 hours a week. So many guys around town start up and fail miserably. It’s a town of 12k so it’s bot easy to get established but the issue is they leave a 40hr/week job and start a lawn biz, where they have a handful of customers and work maybe 20 hrs/week. The other 20hrs/week they twiddle their thumbs doing nothing for their biz and wonder why after 3 years they have crap customers, crap equip, and can’t make it. I’ve tried to tell them, if you only have 20hrs of work, then you need to be out selling work the other 20hrs if the week. They might try it for a day or 2 and then quit and say it’s just how it is. Well it’s not how it is, it’s how they think it is cuz they don’t want to work.

The greatest thing about building/owning your own biz, is you can make as much or as little $ as you want. What you put into your biz is what you’ll get out.

5. Mumblingboutmowers

Mumblingboutmowers LawnSite Senior Member

It takes time to build a business. This is only your first year. If you could find a part-time job a day or two a week until your business takes off that would be the ticket.

6. Jasburrito

Jasburrito LawnSite Member

My business is in a pretty good spot actually. I am a homemaker. I started my lawn business because it fits my familys busy schedule and has been very flexible with little stress. I also like the exercise. I have been very happy in the industy so far. I am not trying to take over the landscape businesses. My dreams were smashed years ago. I am content mowing about 15 lawns a week. Thanks again.

7. Mumblingboutmowers

Mumblingboutmowers LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry, guess I was confused by your last post stating that your business was upside down. Glad to read that all is actually well.

8. Hayduke

Hayduke LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

Maybe someone should start a new poll. Not "how much do you net?" but "how much do you pay in taxes?"

9. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Thats easy. As little as possible. If you have a good CPA and keep track of every penny you spend on the business your tax bill will be very reasonable. Its a necessary evil if you want to evolve. You cant build or qualify for credit if you dont report income. Im sure I will hear plenty from the "whatever I makes, I keeps crowd."

Screenshot_20190917-014926.jpg

10. weeze

weeze Banned

you can not be paying any taxes and still be worse off than if you paid taxes. a new mower or whatever costs more than paying taxes. just because you write it off doesn't mean you are spending less money. :laugh:

the only way to save money is to only accept cash payments and not pay any taxes or even file for taxes....but that's illegal.

i figure most people are paying taxes on most of their income but not paying them on the little bit they get in cash payments.

the government is cracking down on that sort of thing. they are already toying with the idea of getting rid of tipping at restaurants and paying all of them a set wage. this way they get 100% of their tax money. a lot of waiters and waitresses get tipped in cash and never report the income so they are only getting taxed on $2.13/hr or whatever the base pay is for their state. they only claim the tips they get on a debit card or credit card. any cash tip they just put in their pocket and act like they never got it. i'm sure the same thing goes on in the lawn business all of the time as well.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019