Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lady called last Tuesday and left a message on our machine. I tried returning her call three times that afternoon and evening, but got the answering machine all three times. Left a message once and told her I would keep trying until I got hold of her.

Finally caught her around 8:30 Wednesday morning. Seems they live next door to a property I was servicing until it sold recently, and needed someone to mow "for a couple of weeks", if I understood her correctly. Asked if I could do it that day. Well, it rained 2 1/2 inches overnight, and I have 3 regular accounts due that I wasn't able to get to Tuesday evening, so I told her that it would be unlikely I ccould get to it that day, as I was going to have to wait until things dried out a bit, and then do my regular accounts. I told her I could do it the next day (Thursday), with no problem.

The lady spoke to her husband in the background, and came back on, saying Thursday would be fine. I told her I would be there Thursday afternoon, and left it at that. They never even asked for a price. My wife had a doctor's appointment that morning, so we drove by the place to see what kind of shape it was in. It needed mowed, but was only maybe 3 days overdue.

Okay, Thursday afteroon we drive up in front of the house, and the lawn has been mowed. I get out and knock on the door. Husband comes to the door. I explained I talked to his wife the day before about mowing, but it appears it has already been mowed?

Guys says, "We found a very nice, energetic young man to do it for us". I said, "Okay, thanks", and left. The more time went on, the madder I got, and wished I had told the guy off, in a nice way, by saying I had been good enough to return their call 4 times, it looks as if they could have called once and let me know they didn't need the service.

It wasn't a big deal, as we basically drive within a few blocks of the place anyway on the way to another account, but it really hacked me off that people are so inconsiderate. I pride myself on always returning phone calls, and showing up when I say I will, or let people know why.

My wife said I did the right thing by not saying anything. What have you guys done in similar circumstances?

· Registered
10,087 Posts
I would have said thanks for calling, or dont you know how to use a f'ing phone, depending on my mood. That is just arrogance and laziness. And I want people like that to tell their friends what a jerk I am so they dont bother me.

· Registered
1,583 Posts
ya a nice screw you under your breathe as you walk away. always forgive never forget though unlike some personal attack on you its just a job.

· Registered
4,830 Posts
This is one of the biggest things that pizzes me off in lawn biz, my number one pet peeve! I drive there, gas 4 bucks a gallon, and the lawn is mowed. No phone call, no nothing! This tells me that the client has zero respect for me. I posted on here awhile back about this same situation. I usually just let it go, but this one really pizzed me off big time after I had just discussed with her the day before about trimming some shrubs back and told her I would be there the next day, get there and yard mowed GRRRRR. When I get there and saw it was mowed I went inside and decided right fast like I better leave as mad as I was and catch her later when I cooled down. When I caught her there walked in the office about a week later, told her that I really appreciate her picking up the phone and calling me, that it was really rude and inconsiderate then turned around and left. It sure made me feel better! Maybe not professional but dang being treated like a door mat. Fortunately only had it happen a few times over the years.

· Registered
6,460 Posts
Remember folks, we are just "the guy who cuts the grass," and not much beyond that. I think most don't consider it a business. Nearly everybody knows that cutting grass is a simple, labor intensive task that requires no training, no special education, no special skills, and no special tools. They give the work respect on that basis.

· Registered
2,492 Posts
Nothing gets under my skin more. I try to always call just before I go, and ask if they still need us to come out. Just yesterday I called someone that had call a few days ago and my wife gave her a price over the phone of $45. I call as I'm about to go over and do the job, she said she found someone to do it for $25. I said o.k. thaks, but I sure wanted to say more. :hammerhead::hammerhead:

· Registered
4,704 Posts
Remember folks, we are just "the guy who cuts the grass," and not much beyond that. I think most don't consider it a business. Nearly everybody knows that cutting grass is a simple, labor intensive task that requires no training, no special education, no special skills, and no special tools. They give the work respect on that basis.
No kidding. I have a nice customer whose husband is one of the football coaches at the university here (I handle most of the coaching staff) and she has - on 3 separate ocassions - alluded to the fact that I may work hard, but it's only for 6 months... nothing like what her husband goes through.

I've let it slide b/c she doesn't mean to offend, and refers a lot of people my way. But it's this mentality! I actually get about 6 weeks off is all. I DON'T get bonuses, I DON'T get health insurance, I DON'T get life insurance, I DON'T get a retirement package. There's no severance when I lose my job! Ugh, it just pisses me off!

And this is the same lady with whom I held the following conversation:

Customer: My neighbor needs some sprinkler work done. How much would it be?
ME: It's time plus materials. You never know what you're getting into with sprinkler work...
Customer: But it prob'ly wouldn't be too expensive, right? I mean, like, $15 an hour is probably really good money for you!

Holy $hit...

· Registered
10,093 Posts
I have a full schedule with no plans on growth. So i would have defenetly said something. But with a smile and clean language of course. Some people need to be told how rude they are. Im doing them a favor. haha

· Registered
367 Posts
No kidding. I have a nice customer whose husband is one of the football coaches at the university here (I handle most of the coaching staff) and she has - on 3 separate ocassions - alluded to the fact that I may work hard, but it's only for 6 months... nothing like what her husband goes through.

I've let it slide b/c she doesn't mean to offend, and refers a lot of people my way. But it's this mentality! I actually get about 6 weeks off is all. I DON'T get bonuses, I DON'T get health insurance, I DON'T get life insurance, I DON'T get a retirement package. There's no severance when I lose my job! Ugh, it just pisses me off!

And this is the same lady with whom I held the following conversation:

ME: It's time plus materials. You never know what you're getting into with sprinkler work...
Customer: But it prob'ly wouldn't be too expensive, right? I mean, like, $15 an hour is probably really good money for you!

Holy $hit...
LOL> for that $15 an hr i wouldnt even show up. most of my customers dont have a problem with what i charge, They KNOW the mowing Can be Very Physical and Labor Intensive work ESPECIALLY when we have 90+ degrees and 80% Humidty. THEY DEFINITELY Don;t want to be out there Sweating thier asses off in the Heat. for that $15 an hr for irrigation work i would tell them them to go to kmart and buy a $15 sprinkler before i would do it.

· Registered
4,704 Posts
LOL> for that $15 an hr i wouldnt even show up. most of my customers dont have a problem with what i charge, They KNOW the mowing Can be Very Physical and Labor Intensive work ESPECIALLY when we have 90+ degrees and 80% Humidty. THEY DEFINITELY Don;t want to be out there Sweating thier asses off in the Heat. for that $15 an hr for irrigation work i would tell them them to go to kmart and buy a $15 sprinkler before i would do it.
Needless to say, I didn't contact the neighbor. I feared that this lady may have offered them the price SHE set...

But people in my frugal, rural environment don't like to hear $60/hr + materials.

· Registered
701 Posts

So, that would be a raise for me!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

· Registered
156 Posts
The $15 an hour lady was pretty funny. I hope she never has to call a plumber or electrician, she will poop her pants when she gets the bill. To the origional post, I would have been worried since I had not quoted a price. It might be better that you did not get the job. What if she was thinking $20 per cut and you came in at $50. It does suck that she did not call you, but do not take it personally.

· Registered
1,693 Posts
I had something simular happen to me this past Friday...a lady I met this spring calls me saying that the lco that serviced her lawn was a no show and did not return her calls for the past month and that she was having to borrow a mower to cut it...so she calls me for an estimate...I go out and give her a price...she wants me to put her in my regular rotation (10 day) with the first cut being on Monday. Well Saturday I receive voicemail from her saying that the lco that was a no show and ignored her calls for the past month suddenly pops up at her door and mows her lawn while she is out running errands and leaves a note saying "sorry for the break in service....he was on an extended leave"....so she basically fires me and rehired the no-show lco. So I did the professional thing and returned her call and can you believe she had an attitude with me...like "why are you calling me...didn't you get my messege"....she even told me that she did not NEED me anymore....thanks...bye...like I was bothering her or something...I feel she should have called the no-show lco and told them that they were fired and why and that she had found another lco..it pissed me off because this was a totally different attitude from when she called needing service.....She will be calling back when her no-show lco takes another leave (probabily rehab)...I will charge her up the a$$.

· Banned
1,896 Posts
I had something simular happen to me this past Friday...a lady I met this spring calls me saying that the lco that serviced her lawn was a no show and did not return her calls for the past month and that she was having to borrow a mower to cut it...so she calls me for an estimate...I go out and give her a price...she wants me to put her in my regular rotation (10 day) with the first cut being on Monday. Well Saturday I receive voicemail from her saying that the lco that was a no show and ignored her calls for the past month suddenly pops up at her door and mows her lawn while she is out running errands and leaves a note saying "sorry for the break in service....he was on an extended leave"....so she basically fires me and rehired the no-show lco. So I did the professional thing and returned her call and can you believe she had an attitude with me...like "why are you calling me...didn't you get my messege"....she even told me that she did not NEED me anymore....thanks...bye...like I was bothering her or something...I feel she should have called the no-show lco and told them that they were fired and why and that she had found another lco..it pissed me off because this was a totally different attitude from when she called needing service.....She will be calling back when her no-show lco takes another leave (probabily rehab)...I will charge her up the a$$.
If that was me and she called back a second time wanting me to service her place, I would decline it and tell her why. Life is too short to deal with a bi+ch like that.

· Registered
10,093 Posts
Some of you guys take it too personally. Thats not the kind of customer i would cater to anyhow. So take it as a good thing. Continue your efforts to fill your schedule with good customers. It takes longer but in the long run you will be more succesfull. I know it sucks that they waste out time but its part of the business.

· Registered
1,039 Posts
Ive learned a lot in the business and some of the thing i have learned is look at everything when you go to give a estimate and listen to them on the phone, sometime you can tell if your waisting your time before you even show up.. Example: i got a call Thursday to come look at a new property and the man explained that he was not happy with the service he was getting and was looking for someone new to take over "OK" i then tell him i will be in the area on Friday, so i dropped by and Man i tell you that place looked GREAT! then i was thinking what is this LCO doing that is tweeking this guys nipples so much that he wants to get rid of him????? So i get to thinking this home owner has got to be a PITA and is driving this LCO crazy and he probley jacked the price up on this guy..So i called him back this morning and asked what are you not happy with??? he starts in with some lame excuses and what nots??? so i explain that we have a contract that's need to be signed prior to any work preformed, and i was thinking to myself that this is a $30 cut =$120 a month so i tell him i will do it for $45a cut =$180a month.. he then stews a little and says i guess i have nothing to complain about, my guy now is doing it cheaper! i replied well you should stick with the LCO you feel comfortable with Sir. But remember that if he's doing something you dont like for the price your getting , then you should consider getting what you pay for and calling us to do the work. OK well let me think about it and ill get back to you... I will never hear from this guy again and maybe he'll start to appreciate who he has now. but if i am going to do the work and i know your a PITA then I'm going to get a contract signed and get paid for it! I try to feel people out on the phone before i agree to show up and if i feel that they're going to be waisting my time or that they are not in a 2 mile radios of my shop then i charge them a small fee for the estimate and they must be home and then i'll come give them an estimate and that the fee will be refundable on the first months bill... it saves a little time & fuel, but if they really are not waisting your time then they will not have a problem paying your fee... Also for the haters on LS this is not a fool proof plan, but it can slow down the waisting of your time, money & fuel as well as loosing you some new business so don't bother picking it apart. What works for me may not work for others...

· Registered
1,693 Posts
Ive learned a lot in the business and some of the thing i have learned is look at everything when you go to give a estimate and listen to them on the phone, sometime you can tell if your waisting your time before you even show up.. Example: i got a call Thursday to come look at a new property and the man explained that he was not happy with the service he was getting and was looking for someone new to take over "OK" i then tell him i will be in the area on Friday, so i dropped by and Man i tell you that place looked GREAT! then i was thinking what is this LCO doing that is tweeking this guys nipples so much that he wants to get rid of him????? So i get to thinking this home owner has got to be a PITA and is driving this LCO crazy and he probley jacked the price up on this guy..So i called him back this morning and asked what are you not happy with??? he starts in with some lame excuses and what nots??? so i explain that we have a contract that's need to be signed prior to any work preformed, and i was thinking to myself that this is a $30 cut =$120 a month so i tell him i will do it for $45a cut =$180a month.. he then stews a little and says i guess i have nothing to complain about, my guy now is doing it cheaper! i replied well you should stick with the LCO you feel comfortable with Sir. But remember that if he's doing something you dont like for the price your getting , then you should consider getting what you pay for and calling us to do the work. OK well let me think about it and ill get back to you... I will never hear from this guy again and maybe he'll start to appreciate who he has now. but if i am going to do the work and i know your a PITA then I'm going to get a contract signed and get paid for it! I try to feel people out on the phone before i agree to show up and if i feel that they're going to be waisting my time or that they are not in a 2 mile radios of my shop then i charge them a small fee for the estimate and they must be home and then i'll come give them an estimate and that the fee will be refundable on the first months bill... it saves a little time & fuel, but if they really are not waisting your time then they will not have a problem paying your fee... Also for the haters on LS this is not a fool proof plan, but it can slow down the waisting of your time, money & fuel as well as loosing you some new business so don't bother picking it apart. What works for me may not work for others...
Good advice

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.