• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

What do you send on advertising

PI&L

LawnSite Member
Looking at taking an agressive move toward advertising this year using mailers. I have spoke with a few of the companies that use the mailers service in my area and they have had alot of good feed back from it and ALL of them have stated thate it was a good investment. I'm looking at about $3,500 for one mailing. it gets out to about 50,000 homes. I'm just a small company that has built a good rep. but i'm looking to take that next step.

SO WHAT DO YOU THINK???

Who is John Malt

LawnSite Senior Member
I stand at the post office and pitch every bit of advertisement into the recycle bin before heading home.

I would definitely keep anything with nekkid womens on it back home.

ARGOS

LawnSite Silver Member
I have done a more target mailing with a lot of success. I went to the local title company and was able to get a very targeted list of affluent homes in certain sub-divisions. I then mailed postcards to that list. The title company didn't charge me a dime. Postcards, time, and postage, but a much better target customer. I would NEVER do a blanket mailing. It would take all day to glean out the tire kickers.

AI Inc

LawnSite Fanatic
I have done a more target mailing with a lot of success. I went to the local title company and was able to get a very targeted list of affluent homes in certain sub-divisions. I then mailed postcards to that list. The title company didn't charge me a dime. Postcards, time, and postage, but a much better target customer. I would NEVER do a blanket mailing. It would take all day to glean out the tire kickers.
Thats what I do. Wife is a realtor licensed in Mass and NH so I have access to all needed info.

nysprinkler

LawnSite Member
Looking at taking an agressive move toward advertising this year using mailers. I have spoke with a few of the companies that use the mailers service in my area and they have had alot of good feed back from it and ALL of them have stated thate it was a good investment. I'm looking at about $3,500 for one mailing. it gets out to about 50,000 homes. I'm just a small company that has built a good rep. but i'm looking to take that next step.

SO WHAT DO YOU THINK???

Remember the rule, if it looks like "junk mail", it probably is "junk mail".

We don't want to be lumped in with every other low budget service (carpet cleaning, etc.) so we avoid mailer services.:hammerhead: We use an industry-specific marketing expert to design and mail targeted pieces to good lists.

The mailing services are usually garbage that wastes your money. Get some decent marketing advice before blowing money.

bcg

LawnSite Bronze Member
Funny, in this thread everyone throws away mailers but in the how to choose CEU thread, we're admitting that we read the ones that are of interest to us. Advertising a service like ours is about timing more than medium. You need to be in front of the person that needs your service when they need it. A day early or late and your message gets ignored.

We get a very good return on direct mass mailings. We blanket an entire zip code with our mailings and don't really waste any time with tire kickers, pretty much everyone that calls off of them signs up for something. My advice is to repeat direct mail as frequently as once a month during the busy season, design a mailer that sticks out and put your pricing on the piece to avoid the price shoppers.

Our business comes from a pretty even split of mailers and Internet advertising. Both sources give us repeat customers and I honestly can't say that one works better than the other. They both cost about the same when it's all said and done.