1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

what do you store your fuel in?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnSmith, May 12, 2003.

1. LawnSmith

LawnSmith LawnSite Senior Member

right now, we use what seems like about a million 5 gallon gas cans for equipment fuel. in all honesty, i think its almost 10 gasoline jugs and six 2 cycle jugs.

i have been toying around w/ the idea of tool box/gas tank combos for each truck. knowing that straight transfer and fuel storage tanks for trucks were designed or geared towards diesel only, i almost became discouraged. but, i found some companys that offer fuel tank/tool box combos for regular gasoline as well.

now, aside from the issues of legality w/ the flashpoint of gas and all that good stuff, does anyone use a transfer tank for gasoline?

i really like the idea of being able to carry 50 or 60 gallons of fuel onboard for trucks, equipment and the like. i would still probably use the jugs for 2 cycle equipment but i can live w/ that.

any input or ideas appreciated. im not looking for answers about OSHA, DOT, Vehicle Inforcement, etc....let me worry about that stuff.

2. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I use (2) five gallon cans (3) one gallon tanks and (2) 2.5 gal cans.

They are really beginning to piss me off so I am in the process of selling all the smaller ones and buying 5 gal cans.

I even was generous and gave the scrub across the street a ffree 1 gal can. :rolleyes:

3. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 36 gallon tank/pump mounted in my trailer. Carry 5 gallons 2 cycle gas.

4. LawnSmith

is the 36gal tank a transfer tank that you see in the back of peoples trucks? or is it a special tank you had made per your application. also, is it an open or enclosed trailer and do you use electric pump or manual pump. thanks a lot!

5. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Why not just look into a gas caddy or 2stroke caddy? I am pretty sure that they meet all the regulations.

6. LawnSmith

forgive me but my vision of a gas caddy might not be what you are talking about. do you by chance have any links where i can see one?

EDIT: nevermind, i did a search and found one. it was what i thought, and dont think it would be too practical in the back of a truck.

7. wriken

Its like you see in the back of trucks, manuel pump, enclosed trailer. Its located on the right side of trailer, beside w/b, actually its beside the 72" mower.

mvc-022s.jpg

8. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

Wriken,

would you have a pic of that?? hey thanks you posted while I wrote.

But I can't identify it in the pic. Is it the white box behind what looks like a box of work rags?

9. LawnSmith

thats just what i was looking for although i wont have it in an enclosed trailer. is that tank steel or aluminum? i see a lot of aluminum tanks to cut down and/or prevent sparks. also, is that a designated gasoline tank or is it a diesel tank you put gasoline in? sorry for all the questions but i want to make a wise decision. thanks again.

10. wriken

yes its the white box, behind the rag box, its a certified gas tank. $239.00's worth, right now I gas up thru the gas doors, but am thinking about running a hose and attach it to my gas door, so I can just undo the cap from outside and fuel up there., I'll post a pic of the side of my trailer, where the 2 gas doors are located. The tank sits right beside the front door, but I take the gas hose inside to fill the machines up also at fill time.

mvc-017s.jpg