What do you think about Scag Freedom Z

danburkhart

LawnSite Member
I am considering the purchase of a Scag Freedom Z 52" with either the 26 briggs or the Kaw engine. Does anyone own one or know somebody that owns one. What is the pros and cons of them and how about the zt-3100 hydro transmissions. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
:dizzy:

Capemay Eagle

LawnSite Bronze Member
Lots of owners around here! Bluegrass rules is one avid poster that comes to mind! i'll PM him and see if he chimes in with a little input for you.

OP
D

danburkhart

LawnSite Member
I notice you have a hustler fas trak super duty. I have looked at those also. I really prefer the looks of those over freedom z but I have read where a lot of people with these have clogging issues. I am looking at the 52" Fas trak sd also. I have a lot of clover and weedy junk grass. I have had issues with clumping really bad on my deck on my older mowers. I have fought this issue for years and I read one guys saga with a new fas trak sd and sounded like he has the same kind of grass I have and his FTSD clogs really bad. Does your FTSD clog in super sappy grass like clover or if dew is really heavy in late july and don't dry off till about 5 pm of the evening? How does yours do?

<http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=270300>
Here is a link to the story about the fas trak sd that turned me off of them. Do you have any input on this where you own one? I just can't spend this much $ and not get something that will service my mowing needs.

Last edited:

straightforward

LawnSite Member
If you buy a Hustler Fastrak it will clog.The Freedom Z has a much bigger discharge.You will not be sorry if you get the Freedom Z.

Capemay Eagle

LawnSite Bronze Member
I really cannot speak for your type of lawn, but I would say that I have a very nice lawn of a blend of Fescue and KBG and I have never had a clog of any kind? Along with that I have never even heard of a quality ZTR clogging? Maybe with a bagger chute, but with the deck side dischaging?:confused: I mean if your cutting foot tall grass, yeah maybe. Also there may be some issues with mulching, but again, side discharging?

It has been said around here and there that different brands perform differently in different environments. One guy swears brand A cuts better on southern grass, than it does on Northern grass and brand B is vise versa. My guess would be to demo a unit at your home if a dealer would let you, then you could see for yourself how it will perform!

Last edited:

'Baccerman

LawnSite Member
I'm about to start my second season with my 48" Freedom Z. It has the 26 hp Briggs motor. I have had absolutely no trouble with it except for a bad starter relay a couple weeks after I bought the mower. I had a Cub Cadet tractor type mower previously with a 16 hp Kohler and was not a happy camper...
I have been impressed with both the mower and my dealer (W Landis Bullock Industrial Supply Co. of Smithfield NC)
I use Mobil 1 synthetic in the Briggs and am very particular about keeping the air filter clean. I believe that the latest filter design has eliminated the previous dusting and wear problems with the Briggs engines. Mine uses no oil whatsoever.The transmission has performed flawlessly and the rig is a lot of fun to use.
The only beef I have is that the mulching plate that came with the mower has to be bolted on. It is inconvenient to switch from side discharge to mulching and since I have areas with leaves, I would really like to have an operator controlled discharge chute. Scag does not offer one for the Z, and my dealer has not been able to find out if one is made for the Freedom deck although one is offered for the larger mowers.
I would appreciate it if anyone on the site has installed an OCD on a Freedom to please let me know where you got it.
Thanks!
Bill

Wayne-D

LawnSite Member
I have been looking at the Freedom Z also.
My dealer said the price difference from the Freedom Z 36" to the 48" was only $250! That's an easy decision to make.

bigred13

LawnSite Member
I too was looking at the Freedom Z, I ended up going with a Ferris is500z...It was a whole lot more mower for just a little more money! Plus some of the grass I cut is a little rough so the suspension sold me!