Lawn Care Forum banner

What do you think of these two trucks?

6K views 46 replies 20 participants last post by  mrusk 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Scag48 said:
Go read my second reply in your other thread thread.
Agreed.

Let me ask you this. Why do you need a 3/4Ton pickup? I saw your shed pictures a while back, and all you had was a 48"WB. Start off with a lower priced, low mile truck, like an S10 or Ranger, until you NEED the larger truck.

The only reason I say that is from experience. My old S10 worked wonders for me when I first started. Just have a V6. Those trucks you're looking at will be great, until they don't start or run.

#5 ·
TWUllc said:
Agreed.

Let me ask you this. Why do you need a 3/4Ton pickup? I saw your shed pictures a while back, and all you had was a 48"WB. Start off with a lower priced, low mile truck, like an S10 or Ranger, until you NEED the larger truck.

The only reason I say that is from experience. My old S10 worked wonders for me when I first started. Just have a V6. Those trucks you're looking at will be great, until they don't start or run.
Im plowing and im putting a dump insert in the back, i don't just do mowing the majority of my work is landscape maintenance and new landscapes and hardscapes

#6 ·
Scag48 said:
Go read my second reply in your other thread thread. Then, if you must go this route, go for the tan truck. Cheaper, gas, less miles, and doesn't have the worthless 6.5 diesel.
i don't want to make it so dad has to find another vehicle for himself. Even though he's the one that said we could do that, i know he'd sell himself short and get something he really didn't want to just to save money and i really would feel like a total azz doing that. Its best for both of us if i get a truck

#8 ·
Sorry to bust your bubble man, and don't take this wrong way man because I was your age once. I'm 20 now, and I wanted all the landscaping business when I was 16, but it never happened. Focus on mowing, it's the most money you can make for a kid your age. Trust me dude, I've been there. I got into landscaping when the time was right and from there I got into excavation. At 16, the lawn maintenance is a big undertaking, don't try to take on the whole world. There's alot more money to be made in mowing for a kid your age than landscaping. Focus on getting a lawn empire built by buying the right trucks and equipment, don't get yourself spread out buying equipment for multiple divisions when you should just be focusing on one at this point. Do one thing well first, then expand from there. Once you have the lawn maintenance thing hammered down, a good customer base and a steady income, then extend yourself into other lines of service. Right now, you're trying to do it all. What happens if you get into the landscaping market and the demand goes soft? Get the lawn business extremely well structured and steady, then when you're ready to take on a new challenge you can afford to make some mistakes because they will happen, believe me on that. There will come a time where you screw something up or something comes along that is going to cost you out your @$$ and if you don't have that steady income from your lawn customers, you're outta biz bro.

Like I said, I'm not trying to shut you down because that always pissed me off too, people telling me I couldn't do stuff and I ended up proving them wrong, I'm just trying to help you out because I've been through it.

#10 ·
The 6.5 isn't bad if the maintenance is kept up it gets decent fuel mileage and works fine in a 3/4 ton P/U. The only way I would buy one in a higher mileage truck is with records on what has been done to the engine. The injection pumps on the 6.5s were not that great and expensive.

Myself I don't buy Chevs only Ford trucks for me :canadaflag:

You have to watch Chevy 3/4 tons you want the heavy duty version which has the 14 Bolt Full float rear axle the lighter gvw truck has a semi floater rear axle. If you plan on putting any weight in the truck you want the heavier rear axle (Full Floater).

If the truck has a 454 for power it will have a healthy appetite for gas but it has the power you need. Just every time you tromp on the power there goes 5 gallons of gas and the gas gauge needle drops.

For a newbie I would stick with a gas pot you may not want to buy a diesel if you never had experience with the 6.5 or if your not mechanically inclined.

#11 ·
Scag48 said:
Sorry to bust your bubble man, and don't take this wrong way man because I was your age once. I'm 20 now, and I wanted all the landscaping business when I was 16, but it never happened. Focus on mowing, it's the most money you can make for a kid your age. Trust me dude, I've been there. I got into landscaping when the time was right and from there I got into excavation. At 16, the lawn maintenance is a big undertaking, don't try to take on the whole world. There's alot more money to be made in mowing for a kid your age than landscaping. Focus on getting a lawn empire built by buying the right trucks and equipment, don't get yourself spread out buying equipment for multiple divisions when you should just be focusing on one at this point. Do one thing well first, then expand from there. Once you have the lawn maintenance thing hammered down, a good customer base and a steady income, then extend yourself into other lines of service. Right now, you're trying to do it all. What happens if you get into the landscaping market and the demand goes soft? Get the lawn business extremely well structured and steady, then when you're ready to take on a new challenge you can afford to make some mistakes because they will happen, believe me on that. There will come a time where you screw something up or something comes along that is going to cost you out your @$$ and if you don't have that steady income from your lawn customers, you're outta biz bro.

Like I said, I'm not trying to shut you down because that always pissed me off too, people telling me I couldn't do stuff and I ended up proving them wrong, I'm just trying to help you out because I've been through it.
Great advice and I would have to agree with it. I sub out all my landscape/hardscape work to a local guy. He gives me a price discount, I tell the client how I work that side of my business and they agree. I take a small amount home for doing some paper work. I haven't invested a bunch of money into equipment I would use 2-5 times a year and while it depreciates.

Good luck.

#12 ·
mcwlandscaping said:
i don't want to make it so dad has to find another vehicle for himself. Even though he's the one that said we could do that, i know he'd sell himself short and get something he really didn't want to just to save money and i really would feel like a total azz doing that. Its best for both of us if i get a truck
He didn't sell himself short when he (maybe your mom or him and your mom) decided on a $1200 vacuum cleaner!:laugh:

#13 ·
Howie's Lawn Care said:
He didn't sell himself short when he (maybe your mom or him and your mom) decided on a $1200 vacuum cleaner!:laugh:
LOL HAHAHAHAHAHAHA you should have seen the look on his face when he walked in after work, saw it in the living room, and found out how much it cost!!lol, priceless facial expression!

#14 ·
By the way, screw getting a dump trailer. You should get a 3/4 since it will be so much more versatile with a dump insert. Can the front end of a suburban handle a plow that well. I don't know much about plowing, but I thought they were hard on the front ends. I also remember someone on here paying like 7K for a 7' X 14' dump trailer. Why not get a $5K truck and $2.5K dump insert? It's nice to be able to throw stuff in a truck bed anyways. I like your idea of getting a 3/4 ton and dump insert, atleast in opposition to getting a suburban.

#15 ·
People also said to take the Suburban and sell it, but I would feel bad taking a nice solid vehicle and turning around to sell it. I wasn't expecting you to do that, but I'm just using that as a reason to get a 3/4 ton. How much do you think the size of dump trailer you want would cost? What happened to the red 2500 you posted pics of? I also think a truck would be more professional. You could put some sideboards on a dump insert with your logo.

#16 ·
that red truck, i went to look at yesturday, dealer tried to hide all the frame rust with black spray paint so, that's not an option anymore. Ive always wanted the dump insert, the mention of the dump trailer was for only if i got the suburban. Ide get a Downeaster 8ft version w/ tarp roller and cab protector for $2645 installed. Howies lawn care, i totally agree with what you are saying

#17 ·
Ok Scag gave his advice and now i will give mine. I am 20. I been around the block.

In this changing world, with the rising gas prices, i would buy the smallest truck that could tow the equipment you have now most efficently! You do not need a 3/4 ton pickup and a $2600 dollor dump insert at 16!!!! Get your supplies delivered!!! I do big hardscape project. All my stuff gets delivered, down to a yard of top soil!!

Once you spend 2600 on a insert, and take into consideration the extra time it takes to pick stuff up, the wear and tear and the truck, and your really bad gas mileage, it makes no sense to pick up your stuff.

If i was you i'd try to find a f150 with the inline 6 engine. They are bulletproof and run for ever. Run the f150 for a couple of years doing just lawns and mulch etc. Once you get out of school buy a bigger truck and than go into hardscaping etc.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.
Matt

#18 ·
Oh yeah, totally forgot about the dump insert. Dude you're just trying to take it all on too fast. You'll drop $7K into a truck with a dump insert, that would be a TERRIBLE investment at this point. Most of the landscaping you'd actually be capable of doing at your age wouldn't require a dump insert and if you need materials just have them delivered on the customer's dime. For landscaping, I suggest all you try to do is plant plants, install mulch, plant some trees, maybe do a little stone work, NOTHING MORE right now. If you try to take on too much it's possible you're going to get slapped in the face by a mistake that will cost you money or you're going to realize you're in too deep. Like I said man, not trying to hack you down, you just gotta realize that you're buying all the equipment before the business, I know exactly how that goes, I used to do the same thing. Big dreamin' is fine and good, but just do yourself a favor and kick some @$$ mowing lawns and light landscaping, you gotta get off this landscaping thing it'll ruin you man, there's a lot more to it than you think.

#19 ·
landscaping is where the money is, not in lawns, you need to have 120+ lawns that being a resi/comm mix before you can make any decent money off of mowing lawns. having stuff delivered is a royal pita, even when james (other LS member) does it, just because you have to arrange a time to meet and everything like that. SO much easier to do as much as possible yourself. You charge the customer your time and gas to go pick up materials and to take stuff away. I can make money off lawns right now because im too young to be a registered and insured company, but im not going to build up the business in lawns just so when im 18 and paying all the taxes and insurance i have to haul azz to get landscaping jobs to make money to pay for all that and still make actually pay myself.

my next landscape/hardscape job ive got lined up, i could almost buy that tan truck with the amount of money involved and that's after materials cost

#20 ·
mcwlandscaping said:
landscaping is where the money is, not in lawns, you need to have 120+ lawns that being a resi/comm mix before you can make any decent money off of mowing lawns. having stuff delivered is a royal pita, even when james (other LS member) does it, just because you have to arrange a time to meet and everything like that. SO much easier to do as much as possible yourself. You charge the customer your time and gas to go pick up materials and to take stuff away. I can make money off lawns right now because im too young to be a registered and insured company, but im not going to build up the business in lawns just so when im 18 and paying all the taxes and insurance i have to haul azz to get landscaping jobs to make money to pay for all that and still make actually pay myself.
I think that is where you are not seeing the light. Lawns are a weekly income, you will have work to do every week, now and in 3 months. Landscaping isn't. You can make some good money landscaping, but you have to have the expensive equipment to really make out like a bandit (backhoes, large dump trucks, etc etc).

Here is a quote from justmowit about landscaping vs. mowing income:
JustMowIt said:
I agree to net $200K on 2M sales sounds about right if you are doing landscaping, hardscape, fertilizing etc. , since so much of those gross sales dollars go to materials, managers, supervisors, plants, expensive heavy duty trucks, etc..... That is why large landscape companies have such huge sales figures 5, 6,7, 10 Million annually, but net dollars is only 10 or 11%.

This same math does not apply to companies who only mow, net dollars is about twice that on poorly run operations and 3 times that on well run operations that watch expenses
Gross, money is there. Net, I don't know.......

#21 ·
Get at least a 3/4 ton truck if you plan to do plowing and hauling heavy loads. Also if you were smart get a dump trailer, load the trailer up with mulch or stone and drop it off at the job site with a couple of guys. This way you aren't tying up a truck. You can drop them off and you can do other misc jobs or doing you lawn maintenance and then when they are done have them call you and pick them up. This is what I plan to do next season.

#23 ·
Dude I really hate to tell you but you're really in for a big hurt. Sorry man, you're 16 and you have more of an attitude than I had. I'm just trying to offer you some advice but you'll learn it the hard way.

Here's some simple numbers for you to crunch. Lawn maintenance pays around $60 an hour out here for a reliable, well established company. I was making $60 an hour with about $7K worth of brand new equipment, I bought nothing used. I spent more on a truck, all together I had about $18K riding around mowing lawns. Now a truck can be had for about $5K easily, I just spent a little more because my work truck was my personal truck and I wanted something fairly nice. Now, not counting the truck, $7K worth of equipment produced $60 an hour. When we got into landscaping, and we have it good for skid steer hourly rates out here, you gotta drop $20K for a new skid steer to get to about $75 an hour. You could buy used, but we're comparing new lawn equipment to new landscaping equipment. Then you have to buy a decent sized truck and a big trailer to haul it around, I won't even get into those numbers, that's just part of the biz, but actual billable hours the mowing route made me more money for less investment. Now let's see what makes more steady income for less investment. Do the math. Mowing isn't a glamor job, nobody ever said it was, but if you manage it right there's potential for big money.

I'm just having a really hard time believing that anyone is going to put big money on a kid doing landscape/hardscape jobs who isn't insured, licensed, or bonded. I can speak from experience on this one, I'VE BEEN THERE. There's so much more to the business than you can even comprehend, especially when you think you need 120 lawns to make any money. I know guys that had 60-80 lawn accounts grossing $120K a year, pretty good money for cutting grass. And getting materials delivered? Not a big deal. If you're really in the landscaping business, no fooling around BS with $3K jobs, would you rather be wasting your time driving to and from the jobsite hauling 3 yards of material at a time for $40 an hour to cover your hauling costs or staying on site with your crew billing $70 an hour for your time? You just don't have it figured out yet, management is absolutely key in this business, forget the equipment because ANYBODY can go buy the equipment. It takes someone smarter to buy the equipment and put it to use effectively, all you want to do is buy the toys and pretend you're a big shot. Efficiency and logistical decisions are what make you or break you. You bid a job and miscalculate the quantity of material. Who pays for it? Not the customer, it comes out of your net profit for the job. Do that enough and you've just worked for free. Lawn maintenance that doesn't happen, there's NEVER a negative day in the lawn business unless you toast a mower or something disasterous.

Do as you please, far be it for me to stop you. But when it's all said and done you'll be out of high school wondering why you're still in this game when you could be at college. You have a lot to learn and by god it'll teach you. I can give you credit for jumping into this stuff, I did, but you will pay a price at some point, make no mistake about that.

#24 ·
MCW, if landscaping is what you enjoy doing, then do it. Really, the only equipment you need is a shovel, a rake, and a wheelbarrow. That is much less of an investment than is required for maintenance. If you need a skid steer, rent one,,,need a mortar mixer rent one, etc. As far as the truck is concerned, the gold one seems like a good deal, I would recommend a 3/4 ton any day. The repairs are a bit more expensive, but you are better off with a 3/4 ton than you are overloading a 1/2 ton and wearing it out quicker.
Now for the dump insert, (I will play devil's advocate here) What are you really planning on using it for? Mulch? Why do you need an insert for mulch? I think that an insert could come in handy, but you really don't need one. I never had one when I worked alone. Can't you use the bed of your truck in combo with the trailer you use for your maint. equipment to haul trash etc. Also, I would not recommend a dump trailer,,,in a way that is an ignorant statement because I have never owned one of those either. I just dont think they are worth the money. If you actually need a dump trailer, then get a dump truck, that way you can pull a trailer with it to haul your skid steer, chipper, trees or whatever.

#25 ·
Really...If all your doing it Getting mulch in your Dump, Why not just use the truck as Tony Clifton Said.

I mean, Sure, you can load pavers and such into your truck, but you still have to unload them manually, and in a case like this, A dump wouldn't matter, as you can't dump pavers out the back of your truck.

#26 ·
You can make ALOT of money cutting grass!!! You do not need 120 lawns to make a killing.

MCW we are trying to help you out, since we have been there before. When i was 17 i decided to start mowing lawns. Dad rushed out and bought me a exmark 60in lazer liquid cooled (which i paided him the 9k back). When i turned i formed a legal business bought a 32k 3/4 ton and a 18 ft enclosed trailer. Now i was 18 years old going down the road with almost 50k worth of equipment cutting grass. I could of made alot more money if i had 1/3 of the overhead.

Getting deliveries is not a PITA. Even though i am only 20 all my supplier know i am the real deal. I just make a call and my supplies are there when i want them, even if i am not on the job site. The point i am trying to make is i do BIG projects and it does not make financial sense to pickup materials. I can't understand how you can think the 2600 dollor dump insert will make you money.

To many people let their egos run their business. Wait till you guys see how i am going to run my company as i grow. I am forgetting the way other hardsape design/build companies do things (equipment, trucks, labor, managment) and coming up with my own more efficent, cost effective system.

Matt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.