Lawn Care Forum banner

What do you think of this FLYER

8K views 65 replies 23 participants last post by  therainman 
#1 ·
Here's a flyer whooped up. I can make some quick changes, and possibly even fix it up, suggest what you may...keep in mind im a student paying for my tuition:D

SCROLL DOWN

#8 ·
hey J
It is very easy on the eyes and I like the over all look. I will tell you what I learned my first times using fliers and what I have read on here.

The main point I have learned is that" The people that want someone to mow their grass just want someone to mow their grass." Keep this in mind. What I mean by this is that you are going to catch the attention of people that are looking for someone to mow their grass. It doesnt not take a bunch of marketing techniques to get customers. When people have someone to mow their grass it is going to be hard to get them to switch. Okay back to your flier.

Most people here will tell you not to mention that your a college student. It is not nessary and really it might give a more harmful result then not metioning it. I to am a college student. There is no tneed to mention it. (remember what most people think when it comes to college students, old and young people)

About the price. There is a split arguement about mentioning price. Most people will tell you not to do it and I agree. By stating the price you are limitng you options when you show up at their house. you never know what you are getting into. Just always say give free estimates. Remember most people will keep the current guy they have even if they are slighly upset with them becasue they dont want the risk of getting a worse person.
Also since you are advertisng the price i assume it is a discount compared to other lco's. This will attract PITA cusotmers (pain in the ...) but you may be like me, and deal with them to pay for college.

I think you should just mention the mowing sevices and etc. and leave it at that. If the cusotmer is intersted they will call. If they are not they won't. It is that simple.

I too used a coupon to try to get accounts. Guess what happened. Almost everyone of them said dont worry about it. SO next year I got rid of that idea. Thats how I learned that people (and asking cusotmers) that they either need their grass mowed or they dont. Thats why they call

Also is that phone # right I have never seen a 4 digidt area code

If you are worried about extra white space in your flier if you took all that stuff out just make the ad smaller and put two on one piece of paper and cut it in two. Saves money to.

Sorry it was so long. I should be doing homework so thats proabably why you got so much from me.

looks good,
caleb

#9 ·
Thanks man, I fixed the phone number, although Ive been doing it awhile I think that mentioning that im a college kid definately saves me because they might be expecting something from a professional, i mean im good, but im sure if they had a 'professional' lawn care come out, it might look better than me. A college student means im not fully dedicated, and if they know i need money, not just a business out to make money. but rather to fund my education they might choose me... You guys always ***** about the price, but I think its very fair, and it beats a LOT of guys in the area, and I should be able to pick up some customers...I dont know we'll see

Thanks,
Jason

#10 ·
Unless your doing all small lots like in a moblie home park,I would get rid of the price. NO two lawns are the same. Put something like "competitive prices" instead.

#12 ·
To be honest dont sell yourself short.Do a search here and you will find lots of idea's on flyers.Sometimes you can say to much in a flyer and that makes it look cheap.And never say price. Plus you will have a hard time making money if you give that half off for the first cut.Make it three cuts and get the fourth a % off. Just my two cents worth

#13 ·
Look above at what I said. I took off several key things, and I feel that I need to be blunt about my price since it beats many of your guys. And the way I have advertised in the past, it has worked out quite well:)

#14 ·
hey for the price i think it a bad ideal and some of the other guys agree with me. think of this what if you sent a flier to a house and they give it to another person that has a huge yard and they would use the discount and only have to pay you $10. so think of that and change it.

#15 ·
Originally posted by challenger55
hey for the price i think it a bad ideal and some of the other guys agree with me. think of this what if you sent a flier to a house and they give it to another person that has a huge yard and they would use the discount and only have to pay you $10. so think of that and change it.
Yo, I changed it, and yes i will be blunt with my prices. You gotta be direct in business, you dont need to have people hunting you down. Most like a price flat out, and since it says 'most' they get the hint that there is flex in that price. well thanks for opinions, I have changed my flyer and I hope it works out well

thanx

#18 ·
Just curious...Insurance? Does Uncle Sam know you exist? I guess what I'm asking is are you legit? If you send a rock into suzie's head do you have liability insurance?

I do think you probably have found a GREAT way to make $$ while going to college. I just wonder if we crossed the line of professionalism vs quick cash and run.

Used to be you would have already been roasted for hitting such lowball pricing (and bragging about it as a great marketing technique). Now everybody just wants to jump in and help with advice. Not gentle urgings to be professional and legitimate but rather advice on how to continue helping to keep the industry prices and levels of respect desperately low.

Maybe you do keep records, pay your taxes, and protect yourself and your customers by carrying insurance, if so I have misread and kudos to you for being sucessful these last 4 seasons.

#19 ·
Yes I am low, but it the price seems to help influence a lot of people in my area. Everyone is cheap, and my prices most likely do well. Currently, no, I do not have insurance, but this year I will most likely get it. I am a growing company, and am trying to improve on everything (just found this site recently). I have developed long term relations with most of my customers, most of them have stayed with me for 3 years or so, and I am just using this to build upon my base already of twenty people or so. I apologize if I offend anybody by saying I am lowering the standards, but keep in mind, that I haven't had years of experience, I haven't had to rely on this work for living expenses, I haven't had to work with employees. This and other stuff makes up several reasons, which perhaps set my overall ethic and standards below you. I'm sorry if I'm in a different situation here, but I'm just trying to come to the boards to suggest my opinion (which I know differs from a lot of people). Sure I may get a lot of ridicule, but I sure as heck am not going to let you guys discourage me from doing what I like to do, which is having fun, and mowing lawns for a few extra buck to pay for school.

Jason

#21 ·
Jason you sound like a nice young man. Plus your are going to purdue which both my parents attended. Your are right dont let anyone discourage you.Plus I was raised in your area.I know what you are up against. I grew up in park ridge and worked at medinah golf course near you.Dont take offense for anyone giving you advice.Hope you have a great summer working. But do yourself a favor you are too old not to do it legit .Get a license,insurance.Jason you are not 16 no more.

#22 ·
Is it just me or am I the only one who see's this as a prime example of what the professionals who have licenses and run a ligit business deal with every day. What bothers me is that I find these things every year and helps show why ligit business can't compete and should not have to with the flyer bombers. With out taking all of my disguist out on you I will stop here and say your fler looks fine.

#23 ·
Originally posted by johnhenry
Jason you sound like a nice young man. Plus your are going to purdue which both my parents attended. Your are right dont let anyone discourage you.Plus I was raised in your area.I know what you are up against. I grew up in park ridge and worked at medinah golf course near you.Dont take offense for anyone giving you advice.Hope you have a great summer working. But do yourself a favor you are too old not to do it legit .Get a license,insurance.Jason you are not 16 no more.
Thank you for your support, I am working on that as we speak, I learned a lot of this stuff after I came to this site, and this site has helped me shape my business for the better. Thanks again.

#24 ·
I usually get a lot of calls from people around Aug. Sept. telling me how they need somone to cut there lawn cuz there lawn guy is going back to collage.

Lawndog said a mouthfull and it is very hard to run a ligit bizz when guy are out there cutting $35 lawns for $20. Most of those people that call cuz there guy is going back to school freak when I give My price. And the ones that do accept my price I dont do it unless they sign for the following yr.

Your flier is OK Id change the font to somthing a little less bulky
I always used colored paper (green) insted of color ink cuz color copies were a $1ea at kinkos verses .05ea for black ink on green paper. But now I use a proffesional print shop for color door hangers

#26 ·
Originally posted by Lawn DOG
Is it just me or am I the only one who see's this as a prime example of what the professionals who have licenses and run a ligit business deal with every day. What bothers me is that I find these things every year and helps show why ligit business can't compete and should not have to with the flyer bombers. With out taking all of my disguist out on you I will stop here and say your fler looks fine.
I feel your pain Lawn DOG.I know when most people start they do not get insurance and pay taxes and all that stuff, but after a few years one should at least get insurance. If I had anything to do with it....it would be the law.

Flier looks fine.

MATT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.