1. Complete Our Survey For A Chance To Win A $50 Amazon Gift Card
    We’d like to know your thoughts about LawnSite, and how we can make our community a more useful resource for your lawn care and landscaping needs. Please click here to take the survey, which should only take five minutes to complete. One winner will be chosen at random to win a $50 Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you think?

Discussion in 'Christmas Trees & Seasonal' started by DeepGreenLawn, Sep 15, 2008.

1. hotrod1965

hotrod1965 LawnSite Senior Member

I closed 15 out of 17 that I showed up to bid. I took about 90 or so emails or calls last year and weeded out the 17 most serious and closed 15 of them. So I am really about 20 percent. I am always working on better target marketing to get a litle closer to 30 percent.

2. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

How do you guys charge this much for the lights?

If thats $3 per foot labor, thats insane. What types of lights are you hanging?

if your doing trees, heck we can use up 100ft for a big shrub, and get $300 plus the cost of the lights? Enlighten me:)

3. OP
    OP
    DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

these are prices for c9s for the roof, minis are different... I believe...

4. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

most people think prices for Christmas lights are insane until they do it and get 20-30 jobs under thier belt. The price for mini's on a bush or small tree is 27 bucks a strand, 100 light strand the 1st year. includes all cords, timer, labor up/down,stored at my warehouse. It sounds insane too. but it is the pirce you need if you want to hire folks and be able to pay for everything.

5. lites73

lites73 LawnSite Member

i totally agree...not only do you have to account for those costs but you must be able to project future increases as well, if you want to grow your company...take the scandalous yearly price increases of business and health insurance! its insane. By me the majority of homes are mini mansions, try getting on them roofs on a windy day, unless you're experienced, you will be spending quite some time up there. I have a pro roofer, he's not cheap, but he's worth his weight in gold. I lost many a bid to inexperienced installers, they aren't around anymore because they realized they were losing money, a little too late, but I'm sure some more will pop up this year...there's plenty of work for everyone out there, that's why I believe if everyone did their homework and research first and priced appropriately, not only would it make for a better business climate but clients would see and appreciate the value of the service.

6. David Gretzmier

Pricing is a tough topic. Given what I have invested and the volume I do, I know what this stuff should cost. my problem is I buy the best I can find, so my costs tend to be higher. then I tend to pay my help more than I should, because this is a temp job and a hard dangerous one. And I tend to be overly generous with my warranty program, often giving free service calls to folks in thier 5th and even 6th year. And then when I don't have enough money to expand and run my business I get frustrated.

But I still tend to be the highest guy out there.

7. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I sometimes equate christmas lighting to snow plowing. It is fun for the first bit but after a while it almost seems that you cant possible charge enough.

It is dangerous, definately not easy if you are doing a quality job and nothing beats a tripped gfi or dog chewed extension cord on Crhistmas Eve....:cry:

8. David Gretzmier

When you have your first fall off a roof, or one of your guys falls, and you have a guy in the hospital, you will charge more for this service. The danger element alone should put this job in a high revenue situation. the guys that put grass cutters up on roofs for 8 bucks an hour without workman's comp are huge losers. they just don't know it til a guy falls.