What do you think?

Daly&Shields Lawncare

LawnSite Member
Me and a friend, 16 and 17 are starting a lawn care business. We have been doing clean outs, scrapping and hauling during the off season. We just purchased a Scag walk behind that will be our primary mower for the year. we will soon be purchasing a trailer. I work full time during the summer but hoping lawn care will keep me busy this year. I have Stihl power equipment. We will also be using a newer husquavarna push mower and a cub cadet riding mower(mainly as a backup for the scag). We are hoping to get 35 weekly accounts this year. This spring we plan on running an add in the local paper. We both have trucks and have experience in the field. tips and ideas? thanks!

Last edited:

GreenI.A.

LawnSite Silver Member
First tip and idea - insurance, do you have general Liability yet? are your trucks properly registered and insured for commercial work

OP
D

Daly&Shields Lawncare

LawnSite Member
Not at this point. Our trucks are registered just for general. We were going to look into becoming an llc do you have any idea how to begin the process and the cost? Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC

LawnSite Bronze Member

GreenI.A.

LawnSite Silver Member
Just keep in mind how important insurance is, there are plenty of unisured guys on here who will tell you, you do not need it. But hit a rock with a trimmer and send it through a customers window and chances are the cost to pay for its replacement is more than a few years of insurance premiums. Even worse think about the cost of hitting a rock or other item with the mower and it hits a child walking buy on the street, those medical bills can add up quick. Also check with insurance companies agents in your state about PA laws. Here in MA if you use a personally registered vehicle for commercial purposes (even delivering pizza) insurance can refuse any claim and the company is responsible.

As far as insurance costs, there are to many factors to consider. General liability will depend on things like number of employees, services offered, types of equipment used, amount of business you do, etc... Commercial auto, will rely on things like the number of vehicles, types of vehicles, value, amount of drivers, driving history of drivers, etc.. Get lots of quotes, contact multiple insurance agents and and have them each quote three insurance carriers. Two different agents might give you very different prices for the same exact policy from the same carrier.

FinerCutslawnCare

LawnSite Bronze Member
Me and a friend, 16 and 17 are starting a lawn care business. We have been doing clean outs, scrapping and hauling during the off season. We just purchased a Scag walk behind that will be our primary mower for the year. we will soon be purchasing a trailer. I work full time during the summer but hoping lawn care will keep me busy this year. I have Stihl power equipment. We will also be using a newer husquavarna push mower and a cub cadet riding mower(mainly as a backup for the scag). We are hoping to get 35 weekly accounts this year. This spring we plan on running an add in the local paper. We both have trucks and have experience in the field. tips and ideas? thanks!
Don't be disappointed when you don't get 35 accounts right off the bat. People get excited, think they will make it big in one year and when they don't they think they can't make any money in this business. Don't get discouraged, keep your cost low but don't low ball just to get the work. That will just hurt ALL OF US in the long run. Get licensed and insured, if you don't, forget about commercial properties.

Advertising- If you don't want to letter the trucks right away I would strongly recomend getting atleast magnits on your trucks. People need to know who you are when they drive by.I am constintly amazed on how I drive by lawncare companys that don't have any information on the side of their trucks.

Remember, that the first couple years you probably won't make very much money because you have equipment to pay for, but the money will come.

Last but not least, be carefull having a business with a friend. Im not saying it won't work, but you might have problems in the future.

Hope this helps