What do you think?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by JesseMoreira06, Jan 14, 2019.

1. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 LawnSite Member

Hello, going to start my new lawn mowing biz soon enough. I was wondering what do you guys think of this mower and trimmer?

Mower is 200$ CND (150$USD)
    Trimmer is 100$ CND (115$USD)

Thanks in advance.

ad_1547442929482.jpg

ad_1547442932311.jpg

ad_1547443303253.jpg

ad_1547443305517.jpg

ad_0_1547443471419.jpg

2. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

You really need to start out with new commercial grade equipment. Looks like you are buying someone else problems. Buy something from a dealer with a warranty. You will need somebody that can work on your equipment. I just would not buy off brand used eq. If I did, it would be for $50 each. Maybe things cost more in Canada

3. OP
    OP
    JesseMoreira06

Would a use Stihl be a better option? at 60USD but needs to get checked appenrently.

ad_1547473967419.jpg

ad_1547473971341.jpg

I was looking more to buy used given that it is much cheaper then buying brand new.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  4. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Stihl is much better. You need a straight shaft trimmer. Ya cheaper in the short run. Not so much in the long run. May go out a week after you buy used stuff. You have no warranty. Echo can be had cheap in the big box stores

JesseMoreira06 likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    JesseMoreira06

Sorry for the annoyance I also saw this for sale

Leaf Blower , Trimmer , Soil tiller and Branch chainsaw.

Asking 180USD for the set.

I'll check Echo out.

ad_1547477372985.jpg

6. BMWNJ

BMWNJ LawnSite Member

I started last year (solo) and put a new commercial backpack blower as my first piece of equipment for the business. That allowed me to do spring clean up jobs for the 2-3 months before the grass starts growing around here. I actually made more $ doing cleanups and mulch than I did mowing.

The only piece of homeowner grade equipment I have is an echo line trimmer that I already had. It's much better than the ryobi, troy built, etc that can be found next to them at the box stores.

Parlay your early season $$ into commercial grade mowing equipment: mower, backpack blower, edger and line trimmer.

I don't like financing things but I did end up selling a barely used walk behind and financing a brand new zero turn during Gravely's fleet deals. My monthly mower payment is only $125/mo and it helped me get the jobs done so much faster than w the walk behind. Since I hate debt I will be paying the mower off this year once things start up around here again.

hort101 and JesseMoreira06 like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    JesseMoreira06

Really like the idea of getting a Leaf blower and start with that to make money as soon as possible! And hope that those customers will see the quality of work and want you to also mow their lawn when the time comes.

I'll look into the financing a good commercial lawn mower.

Thanks for the reply.

BMWNJ likes this.
  8. kinneberg lawn service

kinneberg lawn service LawnSite Member

When I used cheap box store equipment aka craftsman push mower and 4 stroke trimmer. The mower spent alot of time on warantee work as did the trimmer, never again will consider either. As far as a trimmer goes check out husquavarna l525 or 525lk they excellent and not really expensive. My 525l going on 4 years of abuse trimming, brush cutting ect. The lk is the convertable option. Both are light less than 10bs i believe.

JesseMoreira06 likes this.
  9. Koehn's Lawn Service

Koehn's Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

If you are going to pursue this business you need good equitment. Even if u can get some good deals on good used commercial equitment. If u are running stuff through the day last thing you need is down time. In the long run commercial will last you alot longer and just be better for you all the way around. By the time you put money into keeping home owner stuff going you could have bought good used commercial equitment. Just my opinion.

hort101 and JesseMoreira06 like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    JesseMoreira06

Thoughts on the Echo SRM-225??

BMWNJ likes this.