What do you use for the tall stuff?

Justinknipp

LawnSite Member
Hi Guys, I am curious. I get a lot of accounts that have not been mown in a while. (Almost like pasture mowing) We had 12 inches of rain in June so it only takes a few weeks to get really, really tall. So, what do (would) you use for knocking down the tall stuff? I thought about a JD445 with a flail mower, mostly I use my JD GT235 for the first cut, and then the ZT from then on. Most of these properties are between 1 and 5 acres.

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
I've owned a couple of JD 445's. My Z950 will out cut them no matter what. I just raise it alll the way up and make the first pass, going only as fast as the situation allows, especially if it's a new place to me, then lower down and have at it on the second pass.

redmax fan

LawnSite Silver Member
i dont know anything about heavy equipment , we just use walk behinds . but reading this about cutting tall grass my thought is the problem with hitting unseen stuff with your blades . so im wondering if they make something like a say 8" steel disk you replace your blades with , in this disc theres holes that you thread reall heavy steel cored line thru to cut with . this way if you hit something the line just breaks without damaging mower

ilike2mow

LawnSite Bronze Member
i dont know anything about heavy equipment , we just use walk behinds . but reading this about cutting tall grass my thought is the problem with hitting unseen stuff with your blades . so im wondering if they make something like a say 8" steel disk you replace your blades with , in this disc theres holes that you thread reall heavy steel cored line thru to cut with . this way if you hit something the line just breaks without damaging mower

Would mowers he's using have enough torque to run a blade setup like that though?

redmax fan

LawnSite Silver Member
i dont know . but how about instead of line to the disc you use small bolts to attach plastic blades . then if the blades hit something hard they break . just have a sharp metal cutting edge on the plastic blades

herler

LawnSite Fanatic
Sometimes when a customer falls behind in payments, after so many attempts at getting paid and without word to the wise I simply quit showing up.
Have I mentioned I like to cut my yards on the high side?

I would imagine by the time the dead beat catches on, the grass to be about a foot tall.

gebby

LawnSite Senior Member
Only use my zero turns. As mentioned, double cut. One all the way up (transport mode) then one at 4 inch's. Go slow look for items before the mower finds them. I've cut a lot of them. So far, never tore anything up, yet.

Top Forums