What do you use on tight yards with good grass control?

Trisao

LawnSite Member
I do an HoA with a similar situation, only 19 houses though. I use a 48” and that works ok enough for me. When you start winding around everything the lines look like crap but I haven’t found a solution for that.

m_ice

LawnSite Senior Member
We do an HOA with 40 houses similar to this and use a 48" stander with mulch kit. We have another 2 HOAs with 84 homes and 64 homes that has small front yards. We use a 60 ztr with mulch kit on the front and side yards. All 3 HOAs vary in width between them of 4' to 6' and are irrigated.
In the Spring they suck. You have to go slow but it's far easier than using a chute blocker and blowing the windrows. Also, we have a 60" rear discharge that we tried in between the houses. It did not leave a nice cut.

OP
D

Dmille46

LawnSite Member
We do an HOA with 40 houses similar to this and use a 48" stander with mulch kit. We have another 2 HOAs with 84 homes and 64 homes that has small front yards. We use a 60 ztr with mulch kit on the front and side yards. All 3 HOAs vary in width between them of 4' to 6' and are irrigated.
In the Spring they suck. You have to go slow but it's far easier than using a chute blocker and blowing the windrows. Also, we have a 60" rear discharge that we tried in between the houses. It did not leave a nice cut.
This is what I’m leaning towards. Maybe even a 36” because the yards are not perfectly level so a 60 scalps some places. What do you all mean by mulch kit. I currently have jd 950ms with mod deck and they windrow

m_ice

LawnSite Senior Member
This is what I’m leaning towards. Maybe even a 36” because the yards are not perfectly level so a 60 scalps some places. What do you all mean by mulch kit. I currently have jd 950ms with mod deck and they windrow

I'm not sure on the JD. We run exmark and exmark makes a kit that bolts on making it a full mulching deck with individual chambers.

mowmaster123

LawnSite Member
Ok I am about to take a large bid with multiple houses that are very close togetherll. I was wondering what anyone uses that does tight mowing areas. I will have about 100 houses with small yards and multiple flower beds. I was thinking about a 48” stand on with bagger or rear discharge mower. Grass clippings will need to be controlled as there are many sidewalks. What does everyone use that cuts something like this?
We’ve got the same situation, been in business 33 years. We have 2 hustler 52 in standers with mulch kit installed on each. They have worked very well for us. We also have 3 rear discharge mowers, 2, 60 in and 1 72 in. In thick grass the rear discharge can look a little messy but they definitely keep grass from being blown in beds. The stand on mowers work better in tight areas

Bassyarddog

LawnSite Member
I mow a similar type place weekly and use hydro walkbehinds with full mulch kits the grass is tall fescue we also do some places that have all Bermuda. The kits also work great on mulching shrub trimmings when we trim shrubbery.

Top Forums