1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

What do you use to put systems in?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by HazellLawnCare, Jul 19, 2002.

1. HazellLawnCare

HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I would really like to purchase a sneaker with a vibra plow and trencher but wow the cost!!! I have been looking at the smaller walk behind trenchers now. Do any of you out there use a Brown MFG trencher? or what about a EZ trencher?

2. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

I think your best bet is a Case mini or maxi sneaker. I don't believe they are made anymore, but I've seen used ones between $3000 to $6000.

3. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

Yes,I have used the trencher by brown.

For some reason I keep breaking the teeth off of the blades which is a pain. My dealer is trying to find out if this is covered
    by warranty.

I,m looking to buy a ditch witch.

I'll only use browns trencher for bend edging.

4. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

Love those mini sneakers
    Ive got one and I can pull up to 1 1/2 pipe without to much problem. 36 inch wide it can get into tight places and is ez to haul with my ford explorer A new Maxi sneaker is about 25k with all the toys. My dad has a vermeer 35 lm for sale its a little bigger and a new duetsh deisel I think you can buy it for around 6500 it will pull 2 inch with ease.

5. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

I have a 1999 Ditch Witch 410sx. This machine can pull up to 1.5" but has a little trouble.

6. Planter

Planter LawnSite Member
    from Utah

I have been looking for a small puller also. Would love a Maxi sneaker, but being part-time it's not in the budget, yet. I read about a Turfco on one of these threads. I used a friend's old (1970's) the other day and it is a heavy beast. He found me a puller and when I went to look at it I found it was a Turfco 175. 18 horse Kohler on it. I spoke with the local vendor about parts and repairs. They still make parts and build a few model 100's each year, but on special order. He told me what to look for as wear points and what each one costs to fix. To give me a price he called the plant. They have several new 100's at about 9500 plus shipping. They had 3 renovated 175's at 7900 to 8500. The most expensive was in the best shape and was a 1993.

7. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Case Maxi's are the area favorite here for irrigation plows. Ditch Witch may have the edge in a plain trencher. They also seem to be predominate in utility installation where a somewhat bigger unit may be used. Vemeer also has a small share of the market here.

I've never heard much bad about anything but there are certain favorites in each line for certain purposes.