1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

    Dismiss Notice

What does it take to get licensed in your state?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JimLewis, Feb 27, 2001.

  1. JimLewis

    JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 6,872

    Just wanted to compare notes. In our state it is a real pain in the butt to get a Landscape Contractor's License. This is both good and bad. The good part is it weeds out a lot of guys who don't know jack about landscaping. It also creates a barier of entry that allows those who are LLCs to charge more.

    The bad part is that it takes control out of the people's hands and creates another [underfunded] government beauracracy.

    In our state, you have to have either
    1) a College degree in landscaping or horticulture
    2) 2 years experience with a Licensed Landscaping Company
    3) 4 years experience in the landscape maintenance industry and submit 24 written reports (6 per year) of projects you've worked on.


    Then you have pay a fee and take the 3 part test. Then if you pass, you must prove you are bonded and insured and only then are you a LLC.

    It's a major pain.

    The funny thing is, I can become an LLC in the state of WA (just 20 miles away) in less than a day if I want to. No test, just prove I'm bonded, insurance, and a few other minor things.

    So what's it like in your state?
  2. thelawnguy

    thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,411

    In CT a landscaper needs to be registered as a home improvement contractor with the state dept of consumer protection $240 for 2 years, and if u are applying pesticides need an applicators license and at least one supervisory license holder in the co. Electricians license for lighting over 24 volt and plumbers license to hook up any irrigation sytem. but no plumber license needed to install outside.

    Other than that, no test/ insurance requirement/ education requirement/ on the job requirement necessary.
  3. Hardy Enterprises

    Hardy Enterprises LawnSite Member
    Messages: 116


    It is bascically the same here in Mississippi as far getting a lincense. The thing is though that all you need to have a license for is to plant flowers. You can do dirtwork, retaining walls, irrigation and etc. with no licenses. That what really iritates me is that you have to have a licenses to dig a hole and stick a plant in it, but joe mow blow service can design and install an irrigation system even though his idea of designing is to run a pipe around the yard and connect a rotor about every 50 feet. I have one property that I mantain, it has a strip about 15' wide. In this strip there is a 5' strip of bed with 3' tall shrubs then the rest of the strip is turf. The guy that installed the irrigation system installed one line of pop up rotors with 30' throw spaced every 60'. The shrubs are on the same side of the strip as the irrigation head so they constantly getting pounded by a spray of water. Then when the stream is not hitting a shrub it over sprays the turf by about 15'. Do you think that had any clue what he was doing? Then the manager ask me why everything is dying.

  4. gusbuster

    gusbuster LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,926

    All that is required for California
    Must have been in the trade and working in the trade for at least 5 years
    Must pass a written test in the field that you want to be a contractor for(ie landscaping C-27)
    pay a $300 fee
    Before being issued a liscense, must prove that you are boneded and if intend to have employees, workmans comp, otherwise you sign a waver.

    A way that you can get around taking the test is to be sponsered by an appoperiate contractor for 5 years. After completion of 5 years and no complaints or citation issued against you, a contractors liscens can be issued to you.

    Oh by the way, I can legaly work in the states of Nevada,Arizona & Oregon.I do belive though that there is a 90 day period before i have to get the paticular state's liscense. Each state has a reciporical agreement with the state of California. Of course, I have to be bonded and insured according to each state's laws.

    [Edited by gusbuster on 02-28-2001 at 03:13 AM]
  5. bob

    bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE
    Messages: 4,260

    In Delaware you must pass a written 2 part test and show proof of insurance. Part 1 is a core test, the same test that farmers take. Part 2 is the specific catagory you want to be lisenced for ( for me cat.#3- Turf and Ornimental). You must maintain 8 credits over the last 3 years or take the test over. Getting credits is fairly easy. Lesco offers them.

Share This Page