1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

What does it take to get started?

Discussion in 'Seal Coating Forum' started by slapshotmike24, May 19, 2005.

1. slapshotmike24

slapshotmike24 LawnSite Member

Hi! Sealcoating seems like a good source of extra income. Could someone fill me in on the overhead, equipment, and the details of sealcoating. All I know is you need the big tank that you put on a trailer. Any advice would be great! :help:

2. kipcom

kipcom LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

Depends on what type you want to apply ? Hot or Cold ?

:cool2:

3. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Gold Member

There is no "hot" applied sealcoating. There are 3 types , coal tar emulsion, ( mostly east of the mississippi , asphalt emulsion mostly west coast , and gilsonite based sealer (the worst ) .

Been doing sealcoating as a added service for 10 years .

4. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting LawnSite Senior Member

Same here i found a company called Star Seal Coat of Ohio that have a 275 gal. poly tank motor pump and wand for $999.95 and plus shipping and taxes. Now for me i may try one for the cost right now i use the five gal, and broom. Oh the motor and pump act as an agitator by recirculating the material.

5. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Gold Member

Dont waste your money , seriously , find acu seal on the web he is in Maryland , makes a good set up . That poly square tank and trash pump is a joke . My 550 tank is 15 years old and still going strong . My squeege machine is a 1972 and works great .

6. RICHIE K

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

Last year we had alot of customer request sealcoating, so I added it to our list of services last year we did 17 driveways. Not bad extra money payup

Richie K

www.kulakandcompany.com :blob3:

7. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Listen to Mdirrigation he knows what he is talking about. I have seen his stuff. He has a lot of seal coating machines. And other really neat toys.

8. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

I work for a seal coating business. It is me and two other guys. It is a dirty and hard business but you can come home on a one day job with a boat load of money. I do customers driveways by hand with a brush and its a pain but I get some good dough

9. KivaKid

KivaKid LawnSite Member

Seal-Coating is definitley hard, dirty work! I started a pesticide program for an asphalt company, and to keep busy when I'm not spraying I got a CDL to drive the tanker seal-coat truck and dirt trucks. Well, I spend about 90% of my days out in the hot sun with a broom/hose/squeegee in my hand. We broom and blow clean before coating. Not exactly what I had in mind when I started there, but it seems like the company makes pretty decent money on it. Gas stations are THE WORST to seal-coat!!! UGH!!! PEOPLE!!! 1/2 the station one day, the other half a day or two later. People will drive right through safety cones/caution tape! They won't be convinced to do it at night! ;)

10. Its not easy work, and very messy. I just started my business this year and invested A LOT of money but it will start trickeling back to me eventually.

You will at least need the following:
    Materials (duh)
    Truck ($28,500) in my case but you can get a cheap $3k used old truck.
    Trailer (optional but helpful, I am going to be borrowing one from a friend)
    300 or 550 or 700 or bigger trailer or skid mounted tank/spray unit (don't have one yet, hopefully soon) At least $11,500 for a 300 or more. You want one with a motor, hand agitation is a joke.
    Back pack leaf blower (Stihl BR420 Magnum, $420 or so)
    Direct fire melter with hand agitation for applying hot-pour crack-fill material ($1300)
    Propane, strikers, etc.
    Propane Torch
    Weed whacker (i am probably going to get a stihl with an edger and broom attachment)
    Depending on your state, home improvement registration, insurance, business filing fees, etc.
    Squeegees (good aluminum ones) roughly $50-65 each depending on size, trust me, you want a bunch of different sized ones, you don't want to be doing a whole driveway with an 18" I have an 18", 36" and a 48", I am going to get a 60"
    Power washer ($1,000+ for a good one)
    Brooms, shovels, etc.
    Hand tamp for packing down cold-patch.
    Business cards, flyers, $ for classified advertising.
    Job signs
    etc. etc. etc.

Other things I want to get:
    Billy goat blower $850-1300