1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

    Dismiss Notice

What else can I do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Jun 18, 2004.

  1. DFW Area Landscaper

    DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX
    Messages: 2,116

    I won a judgement against a deadbeat last March for $306.40. Today, we finished up a little early, so I stopped by the small claims court to order my abstract of judgement. Once I receive that, I'll file a lien against his home. I figure eventually the guy will need to sell the home or get a home equity loan.

    Of course, that could be years.

    But on the way home from the court today, I decided to just drive by the guys home. Low and behold, the SOB is installing new carpet.:angry: He obviously has the money to pay.

    What else can I do?

    Is there a way to force his home up for sale or something?

    DFW Area Landscaper
  2. rodfather

    rodfather LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 9,501

    You could always have Guido and Rocko pay him a visit...lol.

    But, a judgement is just that. You may wait a very long time to see that $306.40 (hopefully) with interest too...And no, there is no way you can force the sale of his home. Even filing Chapter 7 for bankruptcy protection protects the primary home.
  3. Texas Red

    Texas Red LawnSite Member
    Messages: 7

    I'm in the process of buying a home, and the seller had five judgements against him. Before we can finish the transaction, he's gotta pay those debts!

    You'll get your money one day.
  4. EastProLawn

    EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,110

    Unfortunately you will have to wait, but at least it seems that you have taken the right steps so far. Good luck DFW
  5. johnson grass

    johnson grass LawnSite Member
    Messages: 15

    Round up his yard for having to wait
  6. Lawn-Scapes

    Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,810

    I have an ex-client that owes me and has ignored 4 debt collection notices. I am ready for the next step... but what is the next step? I've never been through this before. Where do I go and what do I need to do and/or bring with me?
  7. Pecker

    Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,454

    Maybe he was getting new carpet for ripping off the insurance company like he ripped you off! GET HIM!
  8. gr8cutter

    gr8cutter LawnSite Member
    Messages: 91

    In OK you have to file your judgement at the court house. Then the leins are paid for as of the filling date.
  9. DFW Area Landscaper

    DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX
    Messages: 2,116

    My hope is that he's replacing the carpet in order to sell the house. I'll try to get that lien filed next week.

    What a pain in the azz.

    DFW Area Landscaper
  10. John from OH

    John from OH LawnSite Member
    Messages: 144

    CHeck your state laws, but I believe once you have the judgement, you can get an order to garnish his wages.

Share This Page