What exactly do you need?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by splatz100, Dec 22, 2004.

  1. splatz100

    splatz100 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 647

    what types of things to you need to get started

    i know you need insurance. but do you need some type of business license? also would your name have to registered.

    i guess what i am asking is if a cop pulled you over what would he ask for??
  2. i_plant_art

    i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 558

    LOTS AND LOTS of TIME and $$$$$$$$$$$. Insuarance for sure. A bond would be good if your getting into construction type things. A biz license can be obtained from the county court house for around $20.00 +/- your biz name would be registered once you get your license. an accountant would be a GREAT idea. someone who does lots of contractors, and services type biz. Ask other landscapers in your area who they use. Check thier references. An attourney would be GREAT meet one become familiar with them and what they offer and how they can help you. Have them write you contracts. Its better to know one up front instead of when/if you need one and are running around looking for one. These are just a few things. Im sure others can add to my list. Oh yeah some equipment would be good too.
  3. splatz100

    splatz100 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 647

    well i know the equipment and i have a contract already made out. my uncle is an attourney so I guess i could talk to him.

    anything else?
  4. i_plant_art

    i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 558

    im assuming that you have a truck, trailer, accounts to maintain these are the obvious but well.. ill leave it at that. work on some advertising, business cards, a name for the business, design software, accounting software, an accounting system in place. etc etc
  5. Kelly's Landscaping

    Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member
    Messages: 4,678

    The same stuff they ask for now license as in drivers license registration as in vehicle registration make sure you have your trailer registration in the right truck. And insurance as in vehicle not comp and not business and not health all a cop would be interested in is your vehicle in compliance. Do your trailer lights work are you up to date on registration stickers and emmisions. Is your load secure.

    All the rest of being a business is not important in this case a cop does not care about your comp insurance or any of the other stuff. Do you need it of course but your question was what would a cop ask you for.
  6. splatz100

    splatz100 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 647

    so he wouldnt ask for my insurance on the actual business and my name be registered?
  7. Braxton

    Braxton LawnSite Member
    from TN
    Messages: 81

    First off, complete honesty; I'm in the same boat as you, starting business in the Spring (Lord willing), so I'm by no means an expert. That said, here's my list of things to have:

    1. Business license
    2. Registered business name
    3. Liability insurance (1 million)
    4. Commercial Vehicle Insurance
    5. Rider policy to cover equipment for loss
    6. Advertising (haven't decided exactly what form; truck signs for sure, if not
    out of the door, soon after)
    7. truck, mower, blower, trimmer, edger, buckets, rakes, etc.
    8. Estimate forms and service agreements
    9. And oh, yeah, customers (hopefully) :rolleyes:

    Some of these things can be a selling point for potential customers; i.e. "Yes, ma'am, I am licensed and insured." Others may be just for your peace of mind. As for what a cop would be interested in, I think Kelly covered it pretty well.

    OK, guys, as stated, I'm green here too :D , so what have I missed? I need to know too.


  8. splatz100

    splatz100 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 647

    thanks everyone this has really helped!

    CLARKSLAND LawnSite Member
    Messages: 4

    A Mangement Company Has Ask ME To Provide Workman Comp Along With Liability And Comercial Vehicle,what's Up With That?

    CLARKSLAND LawnSite Member
    Messages: 4

    :help: After providing proof of my business name, tax id, commercial vehicle and liability insurance. A Management company then requested proof of Workman comp and personal auto insurance. Any idea why this would be required? :dizzy:

Share This Page