What first?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mgarn, Jul 31, 2014.

1. mgarn

mgarn LawnSite Member

This probably applies more to the solo operation but open to anyone. I have always mowed first and edged and weed eat second . Just curious to the order everyone does it?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. mowisme

mowisme LawnSite Senior Member

I'm with you on this order.. I think you'll get a close percentage both ways on this but tend to think more do it in the order you mentioned. Be interesting to hear. I know if fence line is way over-grown I'll trim that down first so mower will chop it up to look better- but that usually is just couple times until looking good. Ussually pertains to new accounts. older accounts are already being trimmed each mow so no tall grass laying there.

3. tannerbug

tannerbug LawnSite Member

If its a burmuda lawn that I bag I will weedeat and edge 1st then cut ill blow all the clippings back in the yard so I can bag them. That way when I'm done there is no long clippings in the lawn. I don't blow stuff out in the street for it to get washed down the storm drain. Local government frowns on that.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. WenzelOSLLC

WenzelOSLLC LawnSite Senior Member

I've done both and 99% of the time it's a wash as to which if faster. Like was said, if the edges are overgrown I trim first just so I can make it look better by chopping it up with the mower.

5. southernturfpros

southernturfpros LawnSite Member

First 95% of all my lawns are warm season turf(Bermuda or zoysia). Always mow first, seem to get a much better end result. Don't like running over my edge after it's already edged. Also I edge with my weed eater all the time so I weed eat and edge last, also helps knock out grass clipping from the edge.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. zackvbra

zackvbra LawnSite Senior Member

Edge, mow, trim, blow. Everybody now! Edge, mow, trim, blow. It's like a sing a long.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. QLM

QLM LawnSite Senior Member

It all depends on job, season, type of turf, and mower being used. Most times it is edge, trim, blow, mow and reblow. I use a full mulch kit some of the season and a ezchute spring and summer. I always blow all leaves and clippings into the turf to be mulched then blow the whole job down after mowing unless it is live oak leaf season then the billy goat comes out because it will be too many leaves to mulch fast.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Rob_In_MO

Rob_In_MO LawnSite Member

Edge, trim, mow, then blow most of the time.

9. AMC32

AMC32 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Lincolnton, NC

This is the order I use too. For new clients or biweeklies it chops up any over growth so it isn't just laying on top of a nice cut lawn
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. redmax fan

redmax fan LawnSite Bronze Member

when you edge first then ride over edge with mower you can mess up the clean edge , so we mow before edging . mow first so then only have to trim places mower doesnt get instead of having to guess and waste time over trimming . then trim or edge dont matter which . thats our outlook anyway