Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting a new pickup truck. I can't decide between a regular cab, long box or extended cab, short box. The extended cab long box is way too long and difficult to find as a used model. I currently have a 21" mower, a 32" mower, a blower, a string trimmer and a few hand tools. Would this stuff fit in a 6.5 foot lawn or am I better off sticking with the regular cab long box? The extended cab is really nice to have though. Thanks

· Registered
413 Posts
Well, you CAN get a extended cab long bed if you want. Its about 21 feet long though hehe, and with a horrible turning radius.

Right now I can fit a 21" mower, my 33" walk behind, a blower, trimmer, 2 gas cans, and a box with my trimmer line and random tools. That is in a DAKOTA mind you, but it does have a 6.5 ft box. It is not as wide as a full size though, since the Dakota is a midsize. Its amazing what all I can fit in a non-full size truck!

I think you'll be fine either way, but if you don't wanna trailer, you might want to get the 8 foot bed.

· Banned
406 Posts
I'll go out on a limb here and say debris.

No just kidding! You just have to organize it. I see plenty of guys working out of the back of P-Up trucks.

· Registered
1,072 Posts
Originally posted by TROTTMAN
Well, you CAN get a extended cab long bed if you want. Its about 21 feet long though hehe, and with a horrible turning radius.
This is wrong. I just purchased a used 200 Dodge 2500 quad cab 8' bed, and the turning radius is better than my 92 GMC 3500 standard cab 8' bed. Go figure!

Just go get a trailer and your worry's will be over.

· Registered
230 Posts
joed, I had two Quad Cab short bed trucks in the past. when I bought the second truck it took me 2 months to realize I screwed up and I even have a trailer to haul my equipment. My problem was during the spring when I do mulch and during the fall leaf season when the 6.5 bed just seemed to small.

So after having a new Q/C truck for 5 months I traded it in on my current regular cab 8' bed truck which I put a dump insert in and even though I took a financial loss by trading in so soon me and my back are much happier.

Don't get me wrong the Q/C is a nice feature but I rarely used it when I had it and since I plow snow I did not want a long truck so I went with the regular cab.

Just remember in this business if a 6.5' bed is good than a 8' is better and a 1 ton dump is the BOMB.

· Registered
3,935 Posts
My first year we operated out of the trunk and back seat of my 1983 Buick Lesabre (12 customers). The second year I bought a Ranger and we stuffed 2 21 inch mowers, 2 weedwackers, gas cans, 1 backpack, broom, and a lunchbox in that thing. It was all tight, but it all fit. You'd be surprised at what you can get in the bed of a truck.

:D

· Registered
400 Posts
you can fit a couple back pack blowers there

· Registered
9,873 Posts
Lets see....
I can fit any one of these single items......
Hustler Mini Z or Super Mini Z 44" or 52"
Any model Hustler Fastrak.
Any model Hustler WB.
Full size Hustler Z or Super Z with a 52" deck.
Any single one of those can be put in AND shut the tailgate.
Now....
I can put a 60" Hustler Z or Super Z in the back, but I have to leave the tailgate down and strap it in REAL good !!!
I drive a 2000 Ford F-250 Super Cab 4 X 4 with 6.5 ft box
I do have plenty of experience doing this also....amazed what you can do to get that last mower on the rig and the trailer (18 ft) is full.....lol....lol
The ride up and down the ramps is the FUN part......
I will take pics for you some day.

Later
Pj

· Banned
1,976 Posts
an outfit here has 3 XT2800-60 DCs on a 16' trailer, so they put their BPs and 2 21" mowers in the bed, along with fuel cans.

· Registered
103 Posts
I have an extended cab short box, before I bought my trailer I hauled all my stuff around in the bed:

32" Ferris Hydrocut
21" Toro Proline
Stihl FS85 Trimmer
Echo BP Blower
2-10 Liter gas cans
Misc. gardening tools

It was only for a few weeks, but when I finally got the trailer I was so relieved. But if you have to, it will work.

· Registered
62 Posts
I have a 91 Ford F-150 (351 V8) with a short bed and in the middle of buying a trailer I hauled my 48" WB, 2 trimmers, 2 gas cans, 1 blower, 1 21" push mower, 2 ramps, and water jug. And yes Extended Cabs are nice!

· Banned
9,013 Posts
Originally posted by crazygator
This is wrong. I just purchased a used 200 Dodge 2500 quad cab 8' bed, and the turning radius is better than my 92 GMC 3500 standard cab 8' bed. Go figure!

Just go get a trailer and your worry's will be over.
that is so funny about what you just said because I just took a dodge for a test drive the other day and i couldn't believe the turning radius.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.