What footwear works the best?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by LawnVeteran, Jan 21, 2019.

1. LawnVeteran

LawnVeteran LawnSite Senior Member

I’m curious to see what boots you all prefer when doing everything from mowing to hardscaping and dealing with mud and water. I’ve been researching some new boots and want to know what everyone thinks before I drop about $250. Prefer waterproof and lined, slip resistant, composite toe, and have good treads.
    Didn’t know what forum to post this in.

2. Burnie

Burnie LawnSite Member

I spray (not mow), and use Muck Chore boots, work good and last well.

3. Andrew H

Andrew H LawnSite Silver Member

I wear a pair of Carharts and a pair of keens, occasionally I'll switch to more of a walking shoe (soft toe) but I prefer to use a steel or composite toe. Mowing and plowing, i waterproof mine with some chemical that smells like diesel.
    One thing about completely waterproof boots, that get pretty warm and sweaty in the summer and that causes fungus among us...

hort101 and LawnVeteran like this.
  4. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Silver Member

I've tried a great deal of boot brands over the last 20 years. Not over impressed with one over the others.....but I will say you get what you pay for.
    I get new boots about every 6-9 months as they are usually trashed

Right now I've got my first pair of redwing boots, the sole is falling apart along the heel for no reason at all...they have one year warranty so I will return and get a new pair (these are new in September)

I've had a nearly a dozen pair of Georgia boots & Danners. Those two brands have been my go to boots for many years.

Haven't tired Keen or sketchers, those are next on my list of boots to try.

Did not like: brahma (cheap walmart) Caterpillar, timberland, justin, ariat, carhart, thorogood, wolverine, rocky, john deere, dickies I'm sure I've tried more but these came to mind. Some could be my fault for not properly sizing.

LawnVeteran likes this.
  5. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Member

It's been nothing but Red Wing Super soles for the last 20 years. Steel toes and then I get some Ky's or Klyles toe guard, its like truck bed coating and I reapply every fall if I'm doing alot of pavers to keep them waterproof. I have gotten away from a Vibram cleated tread because they seem to always get caught on things as I walk. Most Red Wings are made in the USA and the last pair set me back $250.

6. tbone1471

tbone1471 LawnSite Member

Belleville is my go to. They last the longest as long as you dont buy a low cost entry level boot. I wear 880st in the winter and 690st in the summer. Fit is pretty good for me. They are heavy but after so many years i dont notice it unless i wear sneakers....

Danners just dont last for my use. The belleville i get 3-4x as much life out of... trying my first pair of chippewa as the bellevilles are back ordered... the fit is terrible on the chippewa. The way the tongue is stitched on the rubs both of my ankles on the inside. Somehow it is 3x as thick in this one tiny area... will never buy again.

I am generally in some of the harshest environments for boots. Grease, oil, diesel, salt, concrete, hot mix, quarries. Im also in them on average 16 hours a day....

hort101 and LawnVeteran like this.
  7. Mownmachine144

Mownmachine144 LawnSite Senior Member

Timberland boots work great for me.
    There waterproof, I think steel toe? I'm not sure, really comfortable. Been wearing them for almost 10 years now.
    I've bought like 3 pairs total.
    There not slip proof though.

8. Koehn's Lawn Service

Koehn's Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

I wear keen even though they are water proof I spray them about once a month

Walker56 and LawnVeteran like this.
  9. OP
    OP
    LawnVeteran

LawnVeteran LawnSite Senior Member

You’re post sounds like something I would write, except I’m going through boots a little faster than you are haha. Thanks for reminding me that certain boots have a warranty. I think that will be the selling point

10. stonny9

stonny9 LawnSite Senior Member

I've only had a couple different pair. I settled on a pair of Red Wing slip on boots the higher ones mid calf? The soles on both pair have started to come off . I've never had that happen so fast specially for both pair . I'm still wearing him because it's not bad eventually I'll get them resoled . I tried some contact cement but came right on glued and I let em sit for a week asked on a shoe form because my previous pair started falling apart. People recommended two pairs of boots changing every other day give him a chance to dry out. I am in South Florida so it's hot.

smitts961 and hort101 like this.