• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

what gets black off the roof

jeremy067390

LawnSite Member
i dont know what to use foor that black bleeding on the roof. i tried stuff from xterior that was for the houses said it didnt that too. nope. pored the chlorine right on there nope. ive been able to thin it out with pressure but thats about it. ive got two jobs in limbo some1 help me out

GreenN'Clean

LawnSite Bronze Member
I've noticed the Black Bleeding only happens on cheap shingles I had a customer want me to power wash his roof last year but I turned it down because the shingles was cheap and I didn't want to damage the shingles and then have to put on a new roof...

squirtgun

LawnSite Member
The black bleeding is not from the shingles.It's a form of algae that feeds on the limestone in the shingles.It does matter how much an asphalt shingle cost eventually they will all get it.
We us ethe same method as Michael with outstanding results.

HPIM0759.JPG

HPIM0760.JPG

Markf

LawnSite Senior Member
Gentlemen,
Thank you for the advise. My own home is experiencing this as well. And after reading this it makes sense because it is only on the north side.
Mark

OP
J

jeremy067390

LawnSite Member
thanks thats awsome. any luck with this on gutters? i use a product from xterior called gutter zap now and a long a#$ brush. works great but i have to order it.

1MajorTom

Former Moderator
Very interesting. I've seen lots of roofs that have that staining, and I've always wondered what caused it. I too thought it must be "cheap shingles".
thanks,