What Happened to Sarlo Big Mow 34”

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Turf Tracer, Jul 9, 2019.

1. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

I believe they are.
    Although we never did a deck swap that I recall, I am pretty sure we only had one blade (a hundred of them) for both deck sizes.

2. OP
    OP
    Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Fanatic

Toro had 2 deck styles in the late 90’s; SFS and No Name. 44” was definitely SFS. If 52 is also SFS will be same.

Easy to tell which is which. SFS looked stupid and performed worse.

lawnboy dan, Cam15 and sjessen like this.
  3. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Owner of several of those mowers. They were the worst of both worlds. Long clippings and clumps.

Cam15 and Walker56 like this.
  4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

My workers had a name for the SFS deck: sucks for sure

sjessen and Cam15 like this.
  5. Centex Aeration

Centex Aeration LawnSite Member

I think the WorldLawn 28 and 32 have been discontinued as well.

Cam15 likes this.
  6. CuttingGrassMakingCash

CuttingGrassMakingCash LawnSite Member

I bought one this year. I have 100 hours on it. Great mower, to bad they discontinued it

hort101 likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Turf Tracer

Get spare parts now. Many likely proprietary and not being produced.

Cam15 and sjessen like this.
  8. Centex Aeration

Centex Aeration LawnSite Member

I almost bought one but went with the Metro instead; certainly glad I reconsidered that option.

Cam15 and sjessen like this.
  9. GPDesign1

GPDesign1 LawnSite Senior Member

Since you asked... here's EXACTLY what happened-

First-off, I have nothing but love and respect for the Sarlo's. They are genuinely great folks... salt of the earth. None better-

I attempted to introduce the BOP direct-sale model to no avail. Sarlo understands two-step (distributor--->dealer), that's what they like and wanted nothing else. We talked with every major distributor in the US. Nobody wanted a "specialty line".

In the meantime... Sarlo, being Briggs & Stratton's oldest customer, we were in a very active conversation with Ferris about private labeling the BigMo mowers (30 AND 34) to them. Sent machines for them to play with and evaluate. Around the same time, we also had machines at PACE Distributing for their evaluation. They really liked 'em! In fact, we left EXPO in 2017 believing we had a deal. For those who don't know, PACE distributes Ferris.

THEN... almost as if by magic, Ferris miraculously showed up at EXPO 2018 with their "new" FW-15 which is (IMHO) an ~80% COPY of a Sarlo BigMo. Guess who's distributing it?

So yes- Sarlo pulled BigMo from the market. Great little machines and a terrific value from one of the few remaining honorable companies left in the industry.

Valk, knox gsl, sjessen and 1 other person like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Turf Tracer

Yes. I can believe that. The timing of FW15 and similarities were suspicious.

Shame on Ferris.

sjessen likes this.