Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive attached 2 pictures of a blue spruce at one of my clients properties. Unfortunately all i had was my camera phone but my client said that it was covered with catepillars. Ive not seen catepillars each a spruce before but what do u guys think?

Branch Plant Sky Larch Vegetation

Nature Sky Tree Larch Twig

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I've got 6 just like that one. Down here it is attributed to not having cold enough winters....and this idiot has them next to driveway...can you say "heat"?

·
Registered
3,872 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
I would ventur to say its from the sawfly larvea if they have seen catepillars feeding, I beleive the common sawfly for the spruce is the yellowheaded sawfly. Best to trat when larvea are active however may be too late for this year, you will need to treat next year near the time for infestation. most the time spruce can recover from this defoliation but if too severe they will die.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Your best bet is to do a soil injection with merit when the buds on the tree are developing.I use the kioritz injector 2oz of merit with 30oz of water.Good residual effect and effective against spider mites,spruce gall adelgid,and many others.Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.