1. Ask the Expert: Fertilization Strategies for Success: Dec. 12, 2017
    Learn how to do more with less when it comes to your fertilization services. Join the live Ask the Expert event hosted by Koch Turf & Ornamental: Dec. 12, 12-2 p.m. ET in the Fertilizer Application forum .

What heads for 10 acres of lawn?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by greenmonster304, Aug 23, 2014.

1. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

What would you use to irrigate a 10 acre rectangle? Water source is 80 gpm well? Any thoughts?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. BrendonTW

BrendonTW LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Oklahoma City

The well is registered at 80gpm that is just what you measured?

If the well can sustain 80gpm you can go with larger heads which means less zones but more expensive heads.

Or you can go with standard 5500's or whatever you use and just have a bunch of heads per zone. Regardless of what you do, if you want to make use of 80gpm on a large property you will probably end up installing 2" line to make up for friction loss and to get the flow you need. Maybe 1.5" depending on the longest run.

3. BrendonTW

Male, from Oklahoma City

You are going to want to make sure that your well is actually able to sustain 80gpm. If you haven't checked with your water resources board for the capacity that the well is registered to supply, I would do so. If your state doesn't require it or it is not registered then I would probably not count on 80gpm.

Lot's of well heads I run across will put out that capacity but for no more than 30 minutes to a few hours before the draw down is too significant to continue the flow.

4. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

This is based on the drillers specs. Well is not in yet. I have no doubt the well will make 80 gpm, I work on ag systems with wells that make 400 gpm. We have a very large aquifer here.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. BrendonTW

Male, from Oklahoma City

What kind of pressure will you have?

6. BrendonTW

Male, from Oklahoma City

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

It's an interesting numbers problem. Residential heads might be a baseline. 40 foot spacing with large nozzles. From there, you lower the head count using athletic field heads, but the head costs go way up.

Of course maintenance is easier with baseline residential heads.

If the ground was really soft and sandy, I'd worry about the stability of high-pressure high-flow sprinkler heads.

8. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Bronze Member

I-40's or rain bird comparable, falcons?

9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I remember the last PGP #11 I had running 60+ psi was almost impossible to steady without rocks on top of rocks.

10. gradioc

gradioc LawnSite Member

We do a lot of athletic fields and have been using the K-Rain ProSport for several years now.