Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've now seen a person that has a old station wagon. like from the 70's that's carring a 61 in hustler. one from like early 80's.. boy is everyone getting into lawn maintenance.. but today also a guy stopped me while i was at the gas station and was like you really have got the equipment to get a job done. he ask a lot of questions on overseeding.. i answered all his questions and he wanted a card.. having nice looking equipment makes a difference in customers eyes.

·
Banned
2,999 Posts
he (probably) got your card so he could call you and ask more questions (on how he can do it himself).:(

GEO

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I can't even envision how you would get a 61" hustler in a station wagon. The man asking you all of the question on seeding may call you but I tend to agree with the others that he just wanted free advice to do the work himself.

Gravely_Man

·
Registered
145 Posts
Well NCSU based on the type of car he isnt equipped properly with the basic equipment, Trailer, TRUCK, and so on, I am willing to bet he isnt insured, and I am even more willing to bet hes not licensed, Granted I am not licensed but i am fully insured, and have a proffesional look, and am well organized.

·
Registered
628 Posts
besides a biz license and pest. license what other licenses do you have to have?!?!

I have the biz license didn't get the pest. yet I hope i'm not missing something

·
Registered
226 Posts
Yep you get a lot of that free advise thing. I had a guy come across the street, ( I was doing a large fall clean up), he said would ya like a job. Basically he wanted some clean up done of leaves and stuff. he looked at my Billy goat and asked about it and must of watched what I did with the blower and rake etc. I gave him my number and he said he would be in touch. Go back over a couple of weeks later, and his yard is cleaned up. Must of asked then did it himself.

Steve

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
i was cutting the other day and i have a few on the same street. when i was done with one, there was a boy about 11 or 12 i guess, came out and started edging with an echo trimmer and trimming. he then went across the street to another house and did the same. then he got out a clean, nice looking little honda 21/22" with a bagger. i thought, hard working little man (it was hot that day). well, i went the next two yards and did them, keeping an eye on him to make sure he was ok, didn't see any water with him. meanwhile, an mitsubishi montero or something pulls up across the street from me with two hispanics in it, a 21" mower sticking out the back and a curved shaft weedeater between the back and resting on his son's car seat WITH the 3 year old or so boy in the car seat.

you tell me who got my respect that day...

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
There's a guy near me that pulls a small trailer around town with his lawn tractor. The guy doesn't look like he's quite right, if you know what I mean. I saw him again a couple of days ago pulling his rig and it looked like he was going less than 1 MPH. Travel time must kill him.

I actually have a large bicycle trailer that I can get my 21 inch mower, trimmer and blower in with no problem. It's a tubular steel frame with marine plywood floor and can easily handle over 200 pounds.

It's not a competition of who has the biggest rig, it's who can get the job done efficiently, properly and profitably.

If I were to concentrate on the small beach lots (which all the LCOs stay away from because there's nowhere to park) I could make some serious money with my bicycle rig. The only problem is I'd feel silly and have guys on Lawnsite.com poking fun at me.

:)

·
Banned
726 Posts
Yep, we'd be laughing like we laughed at that crew in California that couldn’t afford blowers and wanted them banned. But you’d probably be laughing all the way to bank doing those lawns by the beach.

I saw a guy on a 52” Lazer with a weed-whacker and a blower and laying across his lap, dragging the blower tube on the pavement. He was crossing a major street and I turned left in front of him. He had a look on his face like, “Oh no, busted again.”

Pretty funny, but hey, whatever it takes to make it. Better than welfare or crime.

·
Registered
92 Posts
As I have said before.... some of the competition (and I use the term loosley) in my area carry their 20" Wal-mart mowers in the trunk of their 1978 Buick Electra 225's. I meet anywhaer from 3 to 10 cars with lawnmower handlebars hanging out of the trunk. and usually a crooked shaft featherlite weedeater. I met a guy coming down the street just yesterday pushing a Wal-mart push mower down the sidewalk with a Clorox bleach jug tied to the handle bars.

It doesn't take a big rig full of equipment to make beer and crack money.:D

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.