1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

What if someone doesn't want to pay?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Lawn Neophyte, Jul 4, 2008.

  1. Lawn Neophyte

    Lawn Neophyte LawnSite Member
    Messages: 49

    What would you do?

    MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,568

  3. Lawn Neophyte

    Lawn Neophyte LawnSite Member
    Messages: 49

    So you suggest I use a mallet?
  4. lsu03

    lsu03 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 370

    a big one, lol
  5. Lawn Neophyte

    Lawn Neophyte LawnSite Member
    Messages: 49

    WHat happens if charges are pressed?
  6. LushGreenLawn

    LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,120

    You wouldn't press charges. This is a civil matter, not a criminal one. Google "Small Claims Court (Your State)" and you should get some helpful information. You could also try a collections agent. Send them a letter stating that you are going to take them to small claims court if they do not pay. Be sure to ad late fees as needed. If it goes to court and you win they are responsible for all late fee's and court costs.
  7. Toy2

    Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,924

    You can try and take them to court, but I think its a waste of time, guy owes me $50.00 from 2005!

    In Texas you can try and put a lien on them, but the local court told me it was a waste of time. Plus if its a rental you are screwed.
  8. CALandscapes

    CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 946

    Hopefully you have a signed contract that will hold up in court, as well.
  9. MowHouston

    MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,012

    A simple contract stating that they agree to pay their bill on time will suffice so that you can either take them to court or better yet, send the debt to some collection lawyers.

    When my customers start service, they agree that if I cannot bill their credit card for service witihn 30 days of when it is due, I will add a $30 additional fee and send it to a collection company.

    All you need is a signed contract or an electric agreement if you are doing it over the internet and it will hold up for a collection agency, civil court, or to file a lien on their property. All of those are solutions to collection debt.
  10. Lawn Neophyte

    Lawn Neophyte LawnSite Member
    Messages: 49

    what if there were no contracts signed?

Share This Page