1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

what incentives do you give employees?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, May 21, 2007.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

when they stumble upon a lucrative account? my employee has a friend who told him about a cemetery that was up for bid. i believe it will be in the 500 per cut range. he was wanting 50% per cut, which is out of the question. my question is, what should he get if we land this account? i was thinking maybe a pair of worktunes or something like that? what do you all think? thanks

randy.

2. mlhm5

mlhm5 LawnSite Member
    from NC

If they land the account without your involvement, other than the estimate, 15% of the net for the first year and 5% if they stay a customer for each additional year.

3. lawnwizards

15% plus their pay?

4. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

I could never afford to give them that much. I give bonus's of $50.00, $100.00, $250.00, even $500.00 but they should not expect it. It is just something to show my appreciation. I would love to do more or give more but this is my job, it is how I provide for my family, much like most of you. I can not be giving away a full days pay or more everytime just because someone gets an account. However,It is actually part of their job description, everybody plays a small part in trying to grow the business and pick up more work.

5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

The going rate is 10%, however, when my employees bring in a weekly contract I give then 100 % of the 1st cut....

in this case he would get 500.00,

BUT you have to remember, I pay well, and treat my employees VERY well.
    not saying that you dont.

6. lawnwizards

bump to the top /\

7. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

You might want to give him a little something. But really, he is just helping to insure that he has work, so he shouldn't expect anything. 50% is just stupid and you should let him know it. Maybe 50% the first month. But not for the life of the account.

8. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

A cold cola and a smile, oh and their job. I mean you could give them a finder fee but that about it. Large companies dont give bonuses if you stayed extra at work for an entire month, no its a part of your job. By doing this you ensure that they kkep their current employment. I would give him a one time payment, but it would be reoccuring. I understand you want to be fair, give him 10% of the gross and maybe hook him up on the xmas bonuses. Just my humble thoughts

9. Mic_bug

Mic_bug LawnSite Member
    from N.B. MI

Incentive........ ahh to keep their job.