What is a good average to charge at?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Richard Lawns, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Richard Lawns

Richard Lawns LawnSite Member

I heard between $30-$50. What do you guys think?

2. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Bronze Member

It's one of those things that depends on your state and area you are in. Prices are all over the map. You really have to just figure how much you need to charge to profit what you want to profit. Take into account all your expenses. You have some that only charge $20 for a small yard, but I would not get out of bed for that, unless I had like 5 or 6 yards all side by side that took 15 mins each and I didn't have to pack up and move my truck. My minimum is $40, but a rarely do anything for that. I have a couple that are $45 cuts. Most of my properties that take just under an hour solo are $55-60 for the basics.

Mownmachine144, oqueoque and hort101 like this.
  3. Bumpmaster

Bumpmaster LawnSite Fanatic

Did not American airlines an United just get stuck with a law suite for price fixing?

4. Rockbridge Lawn Care LLC

Rockbridge Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member

get $70+/hour...how many yards that entails is on your to figure out how long it takes to cut them

two 30 minute yards next to each other @ $35/cut gets you $70...

or three 20 minutes yards @ $25 each gets you $75/hr

** price goes up when 'driving' from yard to yard...that's why my mim. is $35/ yard per cut...payroll in the future keeps on expensing regardless if the mower is mov'n

5. JMK26

JMK26 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Missouri

Not going to make money just pulling numbers out of thin air.

Know your costs and why lawn is $x amount.

6. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Price fixing is finding a high number and then aggreeing or somehow enforcing that as being the lowest number.

I.e the lowest price to cut any lawn is $75.... if you don’t agree to this I will go after all your customers with a lowball campaign so viscous it will run you out of business

That’s price fixing
    Walmart and brickman have done it before
    Hard to prove it tho
    Suing for something and winning are two different things

Charging “the going rate” is not the same as price fixing

Mownmachine144 and Bumpmaster like this.
  7. LawnCareBowling2019

LawnCareBowling2019 LawnSite Member

My rates start at $25, but for just basics I estimate most yards at $35 or $40, and all my yards are done in an hour or less. This is with an okay push mower, and Im getting a good zero turn next year so I might up my rates by $5-10.

8. South Hills Lawns

South Hills Lawns LawnSite Member

Can you elaborate on how this would effect us? My minimum is $35 to even set foot on the lawn.

9. Bumpmaster

Bumpmaster LawnSite Fanatic

Probably not even any better than the Snowman, did.

10. South Hills Lawns

South Hills Lawns LawnSite Member

Just saw it =) hey I'm from the South hills, where are you at in Pittsburgh?