What is going hourly wage for mowing crew leader in your area?

Discussion in 'Employment' started by green-pa, Feb 23, 2019.

1. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

Had a guy I started at 16 an hour three years ago which ended at 19 hr last year. Considering going up a bit higher for a replacement and further expansion down the line. Curious as to what you guys post or offer upon new hires for crew leader position. As I’m sure you’re well aware of this position is much harder to fill then a crew help and requires much more responsibility and trustworthiness as they are driving the truck with trailer all day and in charge of quality control and supervision of employees.

Primarily interested in wages offered for mowing crew leaders not landscaping as I realize landscaping is a much more complicated and varied and it’s responsibilities and talent so of course wages would often be higher there. I am talking about a crew leader for basic lawn maintenance such as mowing and trimming residential yards.

hort101 likes this.
  2. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Bronze Member

My numbers are similar to yours.

green-pa likes this.
  3. Tara Ann

Tara Ann LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Honestly, I've not seen a company, other than our own, hiring for a Crew Leader. We have a job opening for a Maintenance Crew Leader starting at $13-$16/hour. We are fairly rural, however.

hort101 likes this.
  4. Gus McGee

Gus McGee LawnSite Member

Here in the northeast, typically $16 - 18$ for a decent and experienced mowing crew leader. It is amazing how difficult it is to find people in this industry that actually have experience and valid driver's licenses.

5. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Imo wages are 10% to 30% low so in the example of op your going to need to be at 19 to 21 to get someone
    what was a 15 dollar position 5 years ago is now a 18 to 21 per hour position

6. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an ad on Craig'slist advertising for a garden crew leader. DOE up to $20 hr. It’s been up for 24 hrs and only 2 responses. Neither one is qualifyed.

Tara Ann and hort101 like this.
  7. Raylandscaping

Raylandscaping LawnSite Member

I pay one of my crew leaders $15 per hour and the other $13.50. I feel like I pay more than most of my competitors.

hort101 and Tara Ann like this.
  8. Koehn's Lawn Service

Koehn's Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

I think it all depends on what state and area your in to. I had this conversation with a buddy just today. Most of these guys want the big bucks but they need to prove they are worth that in other words they need to be taking alot of load and stress off the owner and be helping with equipment dumping trucks in evenings or whatever coming in earlier filling mowers sharpening blades checking oil I do know around here 17 to 18 is kinda what i am hearing around here for a guy like that if you can even find them now days

Tara Ann and hort101 like this.
  9. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I'd start them on the lower end and give set milestones 1 month, 3 month, performance expectations. Etc.
    I think 19 to 21 is a good rate, depending on location of course. Highly populated areas will command higher salaries.

TrainingWheels, Tara Ann and hort101 like this.
  10. eggy

eggy LawnSite Bronze Member

A lot of factors such as year round full time? Health insurance? Vacation/holiday pay? 401k? Or not? I know the city a little north of me just ran a ad for a crew leader in the parks dept. it started $19-21hr 37.5hrs week year round overtime available (mandatory some)with a full benefit package..a general labor mower operator was paying 15-19 with no supervision responsibility.

TrainingWheels, zlandman and hort101 like this.