1. Free Webinar: Why the Growth of Propane Deserves Your Attention
    Date: Thursday, April 25th
    Time: 11:00am EST
    Find out how switching to propane can save your company time and money. Click here to register
    Dismiss Notice

What is going hourly wage for mowing crew leader in your area?

Discussion in 'Employment' started by green-pa, Feb 23, 2019.

1. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Bronze Member

I had an ad up on Craigslist offering up to 20$ and only relieved 5 responses.

2. GRANTSKI

GRANTSKI LawnSite Bronze Member

That’s still a scumbag thing to do. shouldn’t be bragging about that. And those customers will be gone as soon as a lower price comes along.

GreenscapeCT likes this.
  3. Tommy Kite

Tommy Kite LawnSite Member

albert-einstein-quotes-6.jpg

hort101 likes this.
  4. GreenscapeCT

GreenscapeCT LawnSite Member

I understand this thread was about wages for a crew leader. Just like the original “Men In Black” movie: ‘ We’re looking for the best of the best of the best’.

You can speculate what LCO’s are paying crew leaders from understanding wages for general help.

$12/hour seems VERY low in this marketplace.

“ Landscape Laborer/Gardener (Milford, Connecticut area)

compensation: Commensurate with experience
    employment type: part-time

Landscape Design Co. in Milford is looking for one or two hardworking individuals to join their team of skilled, professional workers for PT/FT.
    *TO BE CONSIDERED* send resume and (2) references through Craigslist email.
    Pay is commensurate with experience, starting at $12/hr. Willing to pay more for someone with their own truck and hitch.

Requirements:
    -Punctual, on time a must.
    -Reliable transportation, valid Driver's lisence.
    -Be able to pass a drug test.
    -Be hard working, get the job done.
    -Provide friendly customer service to the client. “

5. snomaha

snomaha LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

We made 3 new hires last week - all salaried non exempt

1. Hardscape foreman 50k with full benefits - 6+ years of landscape construction experience
    2. Landscape/hardscape lead 45k with full benefits - no experience in landscape construction but great attitude
    3. Sprinkler tech 46k with full benefits - no sprinkler experience but great attitude and aptitude.

In 28 years of business, I have never seen employees have this much leverage. It is almost impossible for us to raise prices quickly enough to keep up with wage increases. Our new minimum wage for an basic laborer position is $15 per hour with paid holidays and a $2,000 dollar for dollar match savings plan.

We will leave hundreds of thousands of dollars on the table this year because we can’t staff to execute the work. We are focusing on high margin work and getting good at saying no...

6. GreenscapeCT

True is !

It’s an employee economy. Unfortunately, clients don’t care/understand.

snomaha likes this.
  7. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Curious,

I sent two applicants packing this week
    Neither could read/write/speak English
    Both were over 50
    Both refused to accept leadership or responsibility/accountability
    Neither scored very high with me on being the type answer to someone else very well or be cooperative in a team.
    Both had years of “experience” but can “kinda run a bobcat” have no excavator experience and didn’t want to be the driver for the crew.

Both demanded $24/hr and insisted they deserved it

I told them they could go find someone else to pay that, I have positions for them at $18 if they listen to who I put in charge of them.

starry night and snomaha like this.
  8. GreenscapeCT

TD, Do have an opinion regarding the relationship between the economic climate of Anchorage compared to central/southwestern Connecticut?

9. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Well

Are we talking about Shelton or Greenwich?

I I95 corridor south of Hartford to the beachside is pretty similar with a “rich *****” tax being added on south of Bridgeport, intensifying at Stamford.
    The extends into white plains actually.
    Counties west of i95 and north of the snow line are a little different inland
    With the exceptions being Redding to Darien.

Suffice to say you’re not getting the sales in Naugatuck that you are in Fairfield.

Anchorage is comparable to the I95 corridor

We have our Greenwich it’s called hillside
    But residential turf is WAY bigger in CT (you won’t see a 3-4 acre lawn here.
    48” decks rule here... it’s mostly 60” decks there.
    Average starting pay here (for our industry) is 14-15 , where as there it’s 16-17

There are markedly more houses over 2 million in value there than here (mostly due to the huge amount of land those houses are on)
    Commercial property here is more valuable than there.
    It balances out.
    Most of anchorage more resembles Bridgeport than anywhere else in your state.
    Think a mix of downtown, seaside and greenfield hill.

Politically we are republican , you are democrat

That means you have more rules and restrictions and taxes squeezing business where as here it’s the opposite
    Less laws restricting business

There is no state tax
    No sales tax
    So right there our jobs are going to be 6% less expensive than the same job there.

Your work season is close to 40 weeks
    Ours is more like 29 weeks.
    I do more work (gross) in 29 weeks than most companies I know do in 40.

Mostly the differences balance out it about even between the two places with a slight edge to anchorage because it’s growing... where as ct is a dying state.
    I expect New York will just make it a borough in ten years time.

hort101 and GreenscapeCT like this.
  10. GreenscapeCT

Ted,

I’ve never been to Anchorage, however, I know that you spent time in Connecticut. Your insight is much appreciated.

I assumed that the cost of living was similar. I was under the impression that consumer goods are expensive in Alaska due the distance they need to be shipped. The cost of living is high in Connecticut, due to different reasons than Alaska.

My rationale is that labor costs are based on supply and cost of living.

Connecticut is dying. The population is declining and projected to continue to do so, for the next 20+ years. There is a heavy tax burden, the state has financial issues and the average age of residents is increasing.

Why am I talking about this? I believe any discussion about wages can’t be done on a national level, without understanding how wages are skewed due to geographic location.

Yes, we all know this. When I hear prevalent wage information, I immediately think I need to know the economics of that area.

Too often, I read posts where (here on lawnsite) operators state that they “would never pay that high per hour”.

To attract quality help, we’re moving into the $20 range. It does put a stain on the bottom line.

Thank you.

JFGLN, snomaha and hort101 like this.