What is going on with this lawn?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by WPLC, Aug 8, 2019.

1. WPLC

WPLC LawnSite Member
    from USA

I have a lawn that we mow and fertilize that has barely grown since early June.
    He waters every day for 30 minutes per zone. There are some greener areas, but mostly dead/dormant grass.

Soil Test shows low nitrogen, low potassium, and a pH of 7.6. I know this needs to be fixed, but I feel like it would at least green up a little? I have put 3 applications of fertilizer on it already.

Disease, or does pH, nutrients matter that much? Weeds even have a hard time growing.

68411830_419983865390368_7815274610953289728_n.jpg

68693454_1335267646630959_6794096589586563072_n.jpg

2. lawndude28

lawndude28 LawnSite Senior Member

Over watering? He should ask his neighbor what he is doing, his yard looks good.

3. OP
    OP
    WPLC

WPLC LawnSite Member
    from USA

He actually was under-watering until 2 weeks ago. He was at every other day for 30 minutes. I told him to increase watering because it has been really dry and his lawn gets full sun. Every time I mow, his lawn is bone dry but I think it is more than a water issue.

4. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

PH will affect the lawns ability to use the nutrients. I would suspect a few things;

1. Too much water.

2. Low potassium. Potassium builds roots, deep roots are key to a nice lawn. Shallow rooted lawns are nice in Spring but as soon as it gets hot, they’re toast.

3. PH needs to be around 6.7ish. When you get away from that # the lawns ability to use nutrients in the soil decreases.

What I would do is peel back the turf to see how deep the roots are. I looked at one similar to this last year. Roots were barely 1” deep when I took the soil sample. Results were basically the same as yours. Unfortunately the guy didn’t want to spend the $ to correct it the right way so I walked away and he kept doing what he has been. Lawn is still the same way, go figure.

hort101 and kemco like this.
  5. Mudly

Mudly LawnSite Senior Member

Grass wont flourish at 7.6. He also looks like he is the low man on the water table. Doubt that lawn is going to bounce back this year. Grass wont feed at 7.6 because it doesn't know how to make the nutrients available to itself. I'm assuming your calcium is through the roof. I'm personally not going post a 10 page article about how nutrients are made available to a plant. But u need to start lowering that ph with elemental sulfer.

hort101 likes this.
  6. Marine03112

Marine03112 LawnSite Silver Member

You must fix ph to have any results with that lawn. Get sulfur on it asap

hort101 likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    WPLC

WPLC LawnSite Member
    from USA

I already have him on board for sulfur, but I know sulfur burns grass really easy so I was going to wait till we have consistent mid-70 temps to apply it.

8. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

Do it like a lime app. Spread it out over several apps 60-90 days apart.

hort101 likes this.
  9. Blake Powers

Blake Powers LawnSite Member

My question is, how did the PH get that high? Obviously someone has been socking the lime to it and not to his neighbors yard. Some of people think you need lime every year, which is totally incorrect. Until you get the PH right all the fertilizer and watering is a waste. Im a firm believer in watering once or twice a week, heavy water. Get 1 inch a week if its not raining. The water every day encourages shallow root depth. The deeper the roots go, the more available moisture it has.

10. OP
    OP
    WPLC

WPLC LawnSite Member
    from USA

Blake, it was a new lawn -seeded last summer. The whole development used to be a woods just 3 years ago.