What is going on with this lawn?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by WPLC, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Hineline

Hineline LawnSite Senior Member

I will say that there was some horrendous looking newer perennial rye this this year due to disease. A lot of seedings even going back to last year had some major growing pains this summer. I wonder if there was a point back in May that it looked better. I've had lawns like this in the past that were seeded with a mediocre mix. After a couple of years of good fertilization they will come around.

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Eggzactly my point. Turf fungus or insect damage don't look that uniform.

This is not a fungus problem. Not saying there isn't fungus present, but it is not the reason this lawn looks the way it does.

That Guy Gary likes this.
  3. Mark Oomkes

We've been fighting this with homeowners and even irrigation techs. Had one lawn that had red thread and what appeared to be melting out. Went from nice, green to a large portion brown, but not entirely brown. It coincided with the the sudden change in weather...cool, frequent rain to hot and humid. Irrigation tech (we sub him) went to fix a couple things and changed it every day vs every other. I was a wee bit pissed.

The guy knows irrigation, but obviously doesn't know squat about turf management.

4. Garrett1234

Garrett1234 LawnSite Senior Member

I’d remove several shovel head width squares of turf off. Manually inspect the soil (moisture, content, root depth).
    I’d send a few samples in to know the hard facts.
    The manual inspection I believe will tell a lot.
    But if you don’t want to perform those tests, and it’s pretty much toast anyhow, I’d aerate the living crap out of it, hit it with nitrogen which seems to assist on decreasing many of my regions fungus issues, and cut it short. Yup, cut it short, let it breathe. Open it up. Sounds opposite of common sense especially in August, but some airflow is going to help it more than longer length right now.
    Well that’s my .02

5. Garrett1234

Garrett1234 LawnSite Senior Member

I would also like to add I’m doing a full reno right now on 10k+ sqft lawn changing from PRG not top rated seed) to a TTTF / KBG (top rated seed). Reason for this is a couple thousand sq ft test of the tttf/kbg I did directly next to the prg almost yielded the same appearance as the neighbors lawn and your lawn in your initial photo. Same fert, soil, water, mower, etc was used and it was just night and day. Sometimes as others have mentioned above, it’s the varieties. Also, as others have stated, you have the exact recipe for dark green lawn. Just ask the neighbor. He’s got the recipe directly butted up to your grass.

6. walkinonwater27

walkinonwater27 LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

I agree with the ph being a huge deal but I see red thread city in that picture . Lower your mower height an inch to cut it all off and bag. Spray it with a fungicide and stop watering the lawn so much . Twice a week for 45 min per zone has reduced so much fungus on my customers lawns this year compared to three times a week. If your watering everyday his humidity is through the roof. I’m surprised it isn’t worse to be honest.

7. walkinonwater27

walkinonwater27 LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

I’m assuming because you own a landscaping company you run sharp mower blades all day and change them throughout the day . . Are all the tips just shredded and brown and that’s why it’s so off color? I’ve seen this a few times . Not a bust on you but no one runs sharp mower blades.

8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

If you study the picture carefully---the neighbor's lawn has a dry spot just to the right of the spruce tree. Maybe the tree blocks the sprinkler stream.
    And just to the left of this you can see a slight green spot in the customer's lawn. Probably this is where water from the green lawn has run downhill and watered your customer's lawn in the back left corner.

You said the lawn was the best on the block after your application of 25-0-6 with iron in the spring. I suspect, that was because we had a very rainy spring in west Michigan.
    And get rid of the Toro sprinklers--Rainbird is better. Check that the battery in the sprinkler controller is good. Maybe the clock is stopped. Maybe it failed to restart after the 48 hour Grand Rapids power failure July 20th.
    Soil is red sand, right?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Notice that the box on the front porch--is not wet.

10. Mark Oomkes

Red thread is not the issue.

Still waiting for an answer from ANYONE on what fungus results in this uniform of an appearance.

I know, I won't get an answer because there isn't one.

pH levels in west Michigan are regularly on the 7.5-8.2 side. I'd bet $100 his neighbor has the same pH. Whether it's well water or municipal.

It would be ridiculous to lower the mower an entire inch to "cut off" the red thread. He would do more harm than good.

Change blades throughout the day? Are you serious? This is cool season turf, there's zero need to do so.

You're grasping at straws.