What is going on with this lawn?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by WPLC, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Mudly

Mudly LawnSite Senior Member

As usual I agree with u 99 percent. However I do believe in a self sustaining lawn and will argue a lower ph is better regardless if the neighbors ph is the same.

2. walkinonwater27

walkinonwater27 LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

You two really must not know anything about turf grass from these posts. I’m not sure what your profession is but it’s not turf management.

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

I wholeheartedly agree that a lower pH is better for turf.

But when the water coming out of the tap...well or municipal is 8.0 or higher, it ain't going to happen.

4. Mark Oomkes

You're the one claiming it's a fungus issue but not saying which fungus causes that uniform of an appearance.

Yes, there is red thread. Might even be some dollar spot. You're also the one recommending scalping a lawn and causing it to go into serious drought stress. And then throwing in dull blades when your other guesses are proven wrong.

Turf can and will survive untreated red thread, dollar spot and even dull blades and not give that uniform of an appearance. The blades of grass do not have a dark green appearance right down the crown. If it was dull blades, only the tips would be yellow/brown.

Then again, I only slept in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

5. Mudly

Mudly LawnSite Senior Member

I do not disagree with this statement at all. I'm not aware of common well or municipal sources in my area with a ph that ridiculous so I was surprised to hear that.

6. JMK26

JMK26 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Missouri

Don't forget his bright idea of never ever water it. Not just change schedule to less....but never ever.

Mark Oomkes likes this.
  7. Garrett1234

Garrett1234 LawnSite Senior Member

Not diving in to the PH or diagnosis of which fungus causes even disbursement as shown by photos, however a good hair cut on that lawn is a very good idea in my book. Improper fungicide application or lack of any application could be component of the current issue. However, getting some air to the turf (cutting shorter than normal, not scalping) and opening up the root structure with aeration is a safe bet considering the OP mentioned there’s an irrigation system. Worrying about daytime temps and drought should be a total Sidenote considering the stage of this turf and knowing there’s ample water easily available.

8. walkinonwater27

from ct

geez its august and hes watering cool season turf everyday, if you don't think his whole lawn is fungus you need to find a new line of work. many of my customers don't water there lawn at all and they have barely any new weed grown and root structures that are feet long because the soil isn't wet all the time. also the preemergent doesn't break down early because there watering there lawn constantly so they never get any annual grasses. overwatering and dull mower blades are the number 1 causes of lawns looking like junk. I have never watered my lawn even in 3 week drought conditions and it stays green every year all year. the roots also need to breathe, watering everyday just suffocates the grass and stresses it out even more. ive had landscapers mow shorter, bag and sprayed with a fungicide many times and it works great. I didn't say mow it shorter when its going to be 100 degrees for the next week obviously play it by cooler days but your turf managers do I have to hold both your hands? the entire lawn is fungus hes watering everyday during the summer on cool season turf.

9. walkinonwater27

from ct

What are the two factors that need to align in order to create fungus ? Answer that and you’ll know wats wrong with the lawn.

10. Mark Oomkes

But hey, I know nothing about turf management. And still no answer as to what fungus creates that much of a uniform appearance.

I know when I'm beat.